VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-24-2018, 01:49 PM

Default Excellent cross country airplane

Complete my 9A in 2006, and have flown many cross country trips (200 to 800 miles). With the O320, 160 hp, it is a great machine. Go for it, you won't be sorry. BTW, it is a prepunched kit.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
It IS a great cross-country machine, but what you don't know is that my wife is 4'10" tall and it's a process getting her in and out. Plus she doesn't like the tandem set up or the close confines, like so many other wives and girlfriends. The -8 is a great plane, lots of fun to fly, fast and for me by myself, a great cross-country machine but if I want my wife to come with me, it's going to require sitting next to me not behind me.

If your wife or GF is tall and/or skinny (my wife is neither) and doesn't mind sitting in the back under an acrylic bubble, you're golden. There's a reason Vans quit designing new tandem planes and focused on side by side designs, and I'm sure this is one of the contributing factors.
Thanks, Mark! I'm glad I asked. You taught me to consider this decision with my wifes perspective in mind. As much as I know that I'd enjoy the 8, I think a side by side is right for me.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:07 PM

I started a 9 in a previous life and still am thinking about finishing it. The 14 is sweet as well and yes it's much more expensive. Having said that the kit on the 14 is really advanced over what 9 kit is.

The 14 plans are integrated like the 12. So the steps of the build have the drawings for the step with them. You have no idea how much better that is. The 9 plans were the best at the time, just like many of the construction techniques. The 14 is the king right now. That's why it's build time is soooo much less than that of a 9.

I still like the 9 and its a plane I can afford to build. Because of that I'm dusting my emp off, but I sure wish it had some the build features of the 14 (pull rivets, holes already the final size, planes, canopy, etc.). It's just not going to happen. So onward and upward with the 9!

Bob

Subscription Paid for 2018

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 08-25-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhassel View Post
I started a 9 in a previous life and still am thinking about finishing it. The 14 is sweet as well and yes it's much more expensive. Having said that the kit on the 14 is really advanced over what 9 kit is.

The 14 plans are integrated like the 12. So the steps of the build have the drawings for the step with them. You have no idea how much better that is. The 9 plans were the best at the time, just like many of the construction techniques. The 14 is the king right now. That's why it's build time is soooo much less than that of a 9.

I still like the 9 and its a plane I can afford to build. Because of that I'm dusting my emp off, but I sure wish it had some the build features of the 14 (pull rivets, holes already the final size, planes, canopy, etc.). It's just not going to happen. So onward and upward with the 9!

Bob
My RV-8 kit was the old kit. No matched hole and drawings that are primitive in comparison to the -14, but I didn't find it hard to follow them. Since I don't plan to sell my -8, keeping costs down is important, so the -9 seems to be the right choice.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 08-25-2018, 07:00 AM

That's exactly why I'm heading back to the 9.

There is that 'almost 14' mod to consider

Bob

Old 08-25-2018, 07:41 AM

I hear my -9(A) in the overhead right now. It only has about 2000hrs on it. The only thing I wish for is an IO-360 simply for time to climb to FL180 where the fun really begins. I've been really eyeing that beautiful Barrett IO-360 sitting on the shop floor for some time now...
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 08-25-2018, 11:44 AM

Default "Pre-punched" vs. "matched hole"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLock View Post
Just to be clear for everybody. The RV-7, 8, 9 and 10 are "prepunched" designs. Only the RV-12 and 14 are "matched hole".
If the "9" was only "pre-punched", I don't think I would have bought my tail kit back in '99 (kit number 116). I saw the "matched hole" RV-9A (no tail dragger initially offered) kit at OSH in 1999, and it was on display at the VAN's booth all clicoed together right out of the box, which was amazing to see! Seeing that convinced me that VAN's new "matched hole" technology would save me much time and fussing over the RV-6A, which was labeled as having "pre-punched" wing skins (but not the ribs).

So, has the official definition of "pre-punched" and "matched hole" changed recently?

Doug
RV-9A Mazda 13B/ FWF
RV-3A / O-290G (sold)
Old 08-25-2018, 01:24 PM

It sounds like things may have changed since I bought my emp kit. It was an RV-9 tri-gear. There was no dragon tail yet.

Bob

Last edited by bhassel : 08-25-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhassel View Post
It sounds like things may have changed since I bought my emp kit. It was an RV-9 tri-gear. There was no dragon tail yet.

Bob
I waited to order my -9 tail kit until Van's came out with a dragon tail version. Even then, one person on the helpdesk did his best to try and talk me out of putting the little wheel in the back.

The -9 is one of the easiest taildraggers I have ever flown!

Truly an amazing aircraft!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 08-26-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dickens View Post
I'm really enjoying the tail wheel challenge in the -8 but the wife likes the level attitude of the nose dragger so if I go forward, it'll be a A model. I'd really be targeting her preferences in this build, since I did everything my way on the -8.
Our wives must be in the same club. Exactly the same situation here. I've always been a tailwheel guy (including my -8), but the -14A is for her comfort. Whether she winds up doing any more flying (or any more non-complaining flying) remains to be seen...

RV-8 N118KB (sold)
RV-14A #140494 (Wings in progress)
N114KB (reserved)