VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-24-2018, 04:48 AM

Just to be clear for everybody. The RV-7, 8, 9 and 10 are "prepunched" designs. Only the RV-12 and 14 are "matched hole".
Old 08-24-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLock View Post
Just to be clear for everybody. The RV-7, 8, 9 and 10 are "prepunched" designs. Only the RV-12 and 14 are "matched hole".
Mitch, this is why I was asking. If you read your website at http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/kits-standard.htm, it claims that "RV-7/7A, RV-8/8A and RV-9A Standard Kits are completely matched-hole.".
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 08-24-2018, 09:34 AM

Default Get a reamer or two

Mark,

You won't need a jig to put the structures together which you cleco together like on your 8 but you will need to ream the holes to final size before riveting together unlike on the 12 and 14. I love my 9A.
Building RV-12 with brother
Old 08-24-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless View Post
Mark,

You won't need a jig to put the structures together which you cleco together like on your 8 but you will need to ream the holes to final size before riveting together unlike on the 12 and 14. I love my 9A.
I have no problem with that. It's funny how the terminology has evolved. There's pre-punched, matched hole and now final size matched hole. Next the holes will be dimpled for you with clecos pre-installed!

The important thing to me is not having to spend lots of time constructing and truing up jigs.
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 08-24-2018, 10:39 AM

OK, so I just pulled the trigger on the preview plans...last time I did that was OSH '99!
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 08-24-2018, 11:31 AM

Default RV-8

Mark,

I'm new to VAF and considering building a 7 or 8 or 9. But as yet, undecided on which way to go. You mentioned in your post that "The -8 is a great plane and I have no plans to sell it but it doesn't really work for the wife and me as a "go to the beach for a weekend" plane."

Could you elaborate on why the 8 isn't a "go to the beach for the weekend" plane? My understanding, albeit from Van's marketing, was that the 8 was a great cross-country aircraft.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

John
Old 08-24-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jecurtin3 View Post
Mark,

I'm new to VAF and considering building a 7 or 8 or 9. But as yet, undecided on which way to go. You mentioned in your post that "The -8 is a great plane and I have no plans to sell it but it doesn't really work for the wife and me as a "go to the beach for a weekend" plane."

Could you elaborate on why the 8 isn't a "go to the beach for the weekend" plane? My understanding, albeit from Van's marketing, was that the 8 was a great cross-country aircraft.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

John
It IS a great cross-country machine, but what you don't know is that my wife is 4'10" tall and it's a process getting her in and out. Plus she doesn't like the tandem set up or the close confines, like so many other wives and girlfriends. The -8 is a great plane, lots of fun to fly, fast and for me by myself, a great cross-country machine but if I want my wife to come with me, it's going to require sitting next to me not behind me.

If your wife or GF is tall and/or skinny (my wife is neither) and doesn't mind sitting in the back under an acrylic bubble, you're golden. There's a reason Vans quit designing new tandem planes and focused on side by side designs, and I'm sure this is one of the contributing factors.
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Forum Peruser

My wife told me if I expected her to look at the back of my head while we're flying, she would just stay home! Made the tandem versus side-by-side decision easy for me!
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!
Old 08-24-2018, 12:43 PM

I would add that if your primary mission is cross country flying without any aerobatic capability, it's hard to beat the -9 with its Roncz airfoil and longer wing. Very efficient design for that mission profile.
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 08-24-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
My wife told me if I expected her to look at the back of my head while we're flying, she would just stay home! Made the tandem versus side-by-side decision easy for me!
I've had a view of the back of my head and it's not a pretty sight!
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com