Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2018, 11:51 AM

I can't remember which one I have but I purchased a positioning system 10 years ago and use it. The fact is that there is a bit of flexibility because when you install it there is a notched rod that actuates the microswitches and you can position it on the flap actuator pushrod to give you some adjustability.

I had to spend a great deal of time finessing it to give me the results I wanted. One thing not already mentioned is to think carefully about how much "full flaps" you want. Yes the factory setting is 40 degrees. This is also extremely close to the flap coming out from under the upper wing skin. I don't think I could tell much of a difference in landing behavior between 40 degrees vs 37 or 38 degrees, but it allows more overlap to help assure that inadvertent popping out of the flap doesn't occur. If you don't notice it and retract the flaps it will be a very bad day.

Jeremy Constant
RV7A "Stella Luna" ECI IO-360 WW200RV Pmags 360hrs
VAF 2018 paid plus some for those who can't
Old 08-19-2018, 08:11 PM

Let me clarify. My controller positions both flaps and trim simultaneously, greatly reducing workload, especially in the go-around. I fully retained the manual position system for normal flaps-only positioning.

I put the automatic system because thingshappen fast in the Rocket.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction
Old 08-19-2018, 08:53 PM

I always scratch my head about these discussions. Like a couple others here I just count. One and two and three abeam the numbers, one and two and three going into the base leg and run it untill it churns on final. Simple, no adjusting, nothing to fail etc. Everything on every landing is infinitely variable and you have to adjust. Thinking that flap positions have to be perfectly accurate and automatic just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but different strokes.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veetail88 View Post
I always scratch my head about these discussions. Like a couple others here I just count. One and two and three abeam the numbers, one and two and three going into the base leg and run it untill it churns on final. Simple, no adjusting, nothing to fail etc. Everything on every landing is infinitely variable and you have to adjust. Thinking that flap positions have to be perfectly accurate and automatic just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, but different strokes.
Or just put the flaps down all at once somewhere between midfield downwind and abeam the touchdown spot. Then you can concentrate on flying the airplane and looking for traffic.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 08-20-2018, 08:52 PM

Thanks all for the input!

I ended up getting the Vans Flaps Positioning Controller. Install looks good on the ground and I will try it out in the air once I'm flying her again.

FYI, there are a few reasons I went for a more automated setup:

- Avoid running the motor up against the stop -- my doing so repeatedly made my motor wear to the point that I've had to upgrade to a 7.5 A fuse from a 5 A fuse.

- Easier flap retraction on a go-around, when the situation is already stressful.

- Overall ergonomics, even when extending.

I might feel differently regarding the above if I had more experience/time on the airplane (like many of you!). But at this point, I want to reduce as much cognitive load as possible and be safe. I'm sure all of this will become second nature after I have more experience and build up my skills.

Best,
G