VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #11  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:25 AM
TimO TimO is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 420
Default

I just noticed this thread had activity. Sorry for missing out this long!
I'm glad my post helped you guys find this thing. It sure is a nice little box.

I don't know that the CAN bus will interface with non-Kanardia stuff. I say this only because I see they reference a "Kanardia" protocol. So I wouldn't assume it would, but maybe... You may want to email them. Alec was good about answering questions.

One worry I had was that I didn't know if the system came with the terminator resistor or not. So, I bought some resistors from mouser.com Well, it turns out it came with the terminator so I didn't need to do that. The one thing that you probably DO want to prepare for is that it doesn't use 1/8" or 1/4" tubing, it's a 5mm connector I believe, which is almost perfect for 3/16" tubing. So, I went on amazon and bought some 3/16" tygon tubing (would have been nice to get 5mm if I had a good source, but both work), and some 1/4" to 3/16" Tees and adapters, and some in 1/8" to 3/16" because I had a variety of things between my 2 planes to adapt. So take a look at your current pitot/static stuff and maybe plan to adapt it to 5mm or 3/16" tubing. Its trivial, but you may waste 2 days waiting for amazon prime if you aren't prepared.

That RJ plug on the OAT. I see you say it's an RJ-10? My buddy at work gave me a couple of handset plugs, that are RJ-22. They work perfectly. I'm not sure the difference, but it's a normal handset plug. But what DID complicate it for me is that my crimper that I own is a 6-pin and 8-pin crimper. When I tried to crimp the RJ-22 in there, it wouldn't evenly crimp the wires because the thing was too narrow for the crimper socket and would rock sideways. I had to try a few tricks and finally got it to work. The next day I went back to work and asked if he had a better crimper. He did...one that was made for those RJ-22's, and so I grabbed 2 more plugs and his crimper and they went perfect the first time. Hint: When you chop the connector off, leave about a half-inch of wire and you have one that you can compare so you get the wire order correct. When you order the unit, tell them how much length you need. I think I asked for 5m and it was long enough to mount under the wing on both planes.

Anyway, thanks for posting your experiences, and it'll be nice to hear how you like it once it's installed.
__________________
Tim Olson - CFI
RV-10 N104CD - Flying 2/2006 - 1300+ hours http://www.MyRV10.com
RV-14 N14YT - Flying 6/2016 - 285+ hours http://www.MyRV14.com
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:36 AM
RV-14E's Avatar
RV-14E RV-14E is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
Do you think the Kanardia CAN bus will work with MGL CAN bus? (Just reading install manual now about CAN bus terminating plug.)
If you mean "can they exchange information", you'd need to ask Kanardia/MGL (I doubt that they can). Though CAN specifies how the bits are transmitted on the physical bus, the "language" spoken on the bus can be whatever you want it to be. So if the Horis spit outs AS info on the bus, it may not be understandable by MGL because 1) it's the wrong "language" and 2) MGL may not design their device to accept such external data. That's as far as I can go.

A greater (rhetorically asked) question is what would you be trying to accomplish?
__________________
E
http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:39 AM
RV-14E's Avatar
RV-14E RV-14E is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
That RJ plug on the OAT. I see you say it's an RJ-10? My buddy at work gave me a couple of handset plugs, that are RJ-22. They work perfectly. I'm not sure the difference, but it's a normal handset plug.
RJ-9, RJ-10, R-J22 are generally considered equivalent.
__________________
E
http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by RV-14E : 09-14-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Proper punctuation added.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-14-2018, 10:51 AM
rvn817j's Avatar
rvn817j rvn817j is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burnsville / Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 108
Default

I'm running an MGL Xtreme EFIS w/ magnetometer. The Horis is a "back up" to that (of course it may work out as a "better" instrument) and I want it to be a separate system. Since I had the magnetometer, however, I was hoping to be able to "share" that information input. (I'll check with Kanardia...in time.)
__________________
Jay at KLVN
RV8 N817J
Airworthiness Cert. 10/99
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-14-2018, 01:12 PM
RV-14E's Avatar
RV-14E RV-14E is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
I'm running an MGL Xtreme EFIS w/ magnetometer. The Horis is a "back up" to that (of course it may work out as a "better" instrument) and I want it to be a separate system. Since I had the magnetometer, however, I was hoping to be able to "share" that information input. (I'll check with Kanardia...in time.)
Makes sense and that would rock if it could. As Tim O. pointed out, Kanardia appears to have their own protocol as described on page 7 of the Horis manual (to say nothing of MGL's).

P.S., my apologies if my rhetorical question came across negatively. It wasn't intended as such.
__________________
E
http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by RV-14E : 09-14-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-14-2018, 01:56 PM
rvn817j's Avatar
rvn817j rvn817j is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burnsville / Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 108
Default

None necessary. I took no offense whatsoever.

My biggest concern is making that cut in the pitot / static lines. What's the easiest way to accomplish a leak check once you are at that stage?
__________________
Jay at KLVN
RV8 N817J
Airworthiness Cert. 10/99

Last edited by rvn817j : 09-14-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-16-2018, 11:22 PM
RV-14E's Avatar
RV-14E RV-14E is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimO View Post
The one thing that you probably DO want to prepare for is that it doesn't use 1/8" or 1/4" tubing, it's a 5mm connector I believe, which is almost perfect for 3/16" tubing. So, I went on amazon and bought some 3/16" tygon tubing (would have been nice to get 5mm if I had a good source, but both work), and some 1/4" to 3/16" Tees and adapters, and some in 1/8" to 3/16" because I had a variety of things between my 2 planes to adapt. So take a look at your current pitot/static stuff and maybe plan to adapt it to 5mm or 3/16" tubing. Its trivial, but you may waste 2 days waiting for amazon prime if you aren't prepared.
BTW, thanks for pointing that out.

Sounds like it's moot for you, but if others really want the 5mm OD tubing, here's a potential source made by Coilhose Pneumatics from MSC Direct (I believe it's the same manufacturer that Avery used to sell for their color pitot/static air lines as well as for SafeAir1):

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...167+4288198725

And 3/16" OD tubing from Coilhose:

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...167+4288189115
__________________
E
http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by RV-14E : 09-16-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-19-2018, 02:43 AM
Rainier Lamers Rainier Lamers is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somerset West
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
I'm running an MGL Xtreme EFIS w/ magnetometer. The Horis is a "back up" to that (of course it may work out as a "better" instrument) and I want it to be a separate system. Since I had the magnetometer, however, I was hoping to be able to "share" that information input. (I'll check with Kanardia...in time.)
As mentioned, there is (almost) no standard related to the CAN bus. Like the much loved RS232 it is simply a medium to transfer data. What that data is and how fast you want to transfer it is left to the implementer.

Many years ago there was an effort to create something like CAN-Aerospace which has largely flopped - it is as far as I know only used with some engine ECU's now. It's main drawback is that it is very inefficient in using the available bandwidth by effectively transferring only a single data item per message. That is OK however for a dedicated link such as you would have when monitoring an engine.

At MGL we have almost all of our stuff on the CAN bus now and we have published the protocol in a document you can download from our website, free for anybody to use in whatever way you choose. There is stuff for autopilot servos, engine monitors, AHRS, magnetometers, flap and trim controllers, electronic circuit breakers, transponders - if we do it - it's likely defined.

http://www.mglavionics.co.za/Docs/MG...20Protocol.pdf

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 AM
rvn817j's Avatar
rvn817j rvn817j is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burnsville / Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 108
Default

Thanks for the information Rainier. I received a quick response from Kanardia, without the plethora of information MGL has available, and that answer was no compatibility. I will look at the MGL documentation over the next couple months to see if I can "hack" some kind of solution.
__________________
Jay at KLVN
RV8 N817J
Airworthiness Cert. 10/99
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Rainier Lamers Rainier Lamers is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Somerset West
Posts: 962
Default

That is an interesting thought !
It's quite normal to see CAN hubs in cars these days so why not ?

If you are looking for some hardware that is readily "airplaney" have a look at our CAN RDAC. This is a little device that is used primarily as engine monitor - acting as CAN hub between a CAN based engine ECU and the MGL CAN bus.

However, there is nothing secret about it - it runs a STM32 micro and the complete source to implement a Rotax 912iS engine monitor (plus the MGL bus bits) is available. Even better - comes with a complete development environment (compiler) for free. It's done in Pascal as is all of our stuff, even the EFIS systems. The compiler is our own creation made specifically for avionics applications. All you need in addition is STM's ST-Link V2 so you can upload your code into the micro (it can be done using the available RS232 as well if you prefer but the ST-Link is nicer as it allows you to view memory and CPU registers which can be handy for debugging.

The hardware has two independent CAN bus devices, RS232 port and a few additional input lines you can use for sensors etc. If you are a little handy with programming, you can use this for just about anything.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:56 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.