VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Default New player? Kanardia instruments

I stumbled across this in a RecFlying post about G-meters, and did a little digging as I can't see them mentioned here before, other than a VAF'er who has an AH in his -6's panel. Certainly I'd never heard of them before!

Seems they are based in Slovenia, and have produced a range of EFIS and EMS units that are both quite small, but reasonably well featured. Their only English-speaking dealer is in the UK, so there aren't a great deal of prices to compare, but from those listed, you get the following:

The "Horis 80", a PFD that fits in astandard 3.25" instrument hole, for $1140USD

The "3.5" EMSIS", for $1280USD

The "NESIS III", an 8.4" (or 5") touch-screen PFD/EMS/MAP, for $4,500USD

Also available are a combined 3.5" PFD/EMS for $1900ish USD, a 2.25" round PFD for around $1000, as well as a bunch of other individual instruments.

IF anyone wants to check them out, the Kanardia website can be found HERE and the UK dealer is listed as LX Avionics. Kanardia also publish their own price list HERE in *.PDF format, but I found it a little hard to get my head around.

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A 19-8519 - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Phase I done. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:59 AM

A friend just bought a Cavalon Autogyro, which came with (among other things) a couple of rather nifty 3.25" airspeed and altimeter instruments. Full colour LCD displays, similar to the ones from Kanardia but not quite the same form factor so I don't know that it's the same company.

We're trying to figure out who makes them for Autogyro, I suspect they don't make them in-house. There's no maker's mark on them that we can see, however. Just the Autogyro logo on the case.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:27 AM

Default Bought a couple of them

I just stumbled on this thread, although it's almost a year old, today.

I actually found them via google this summer before OSH, and bought 2 of their 2.25" units of that HORIS EFIS.

I did a write-up and youtube video about it, because I was so impressed at what you could get for such low cost.

Check it out:
https://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/upgrad...815/index.html

Oh, and for those who need to cut a hole in a painted panel, the hole saw I reference was a real lucky find. I had never used one like that before, but it did an excellent job. Very nice to stumble on all of that.

RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com
Old 08-31-2018, 11:33 AM

Default Same price as others

Tim I ran across your blog post a few days ago. Cool find.

The GRT Mini has been my front-runner for a back up pfd. I think it still is, since I don't have an existing panel to try to squeeze it into and don't need the form factor.

Now if this thing was $500, I'd be all over it.
RV-10 #1750
N67SC reserved
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2018 Dues Paid
Old 08-31-2018, 12:53 PM

I saw Tim's video several days ago and was in the market to fill a 3 1/8" hole. Two days of 1 email per day with Kanardia sales rep "Alec" (in Slovinia) and I recently sent them payment for a 3 1/8" Horis through PayPal. Shortly after sending the payment, I got a call from PayPal to confirm the payment (and I had no reason not to).

I will update my post when the unit arrives. Tim's video is pretty thorough on the tech, so I will just comment on the purchase process.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:44 PM

Update on my purchase. PayPal shows paid on 8/31/2018. I did not hear anything back from Kanardia so I waited patiently until today. I sent them an email and got a response within an hour with a tracking number. My unit, a Horis80 (3 1/8 inch), shipped on 9/3/2018 and was cleared by U.S. Customs today, 9/13/2018. Will keep an eye on it as it makes its way to me and film the unpacking (time to become an internet star).
Old 09-13-2018, 05:58 PM

I received my Horis 57 yesterday (it will replace my TruTrak ADI2 which is solid but I like the additional info from the Horis). Shipped Monday from Slovenia, received Wednesday. $1040, $70 shipping (TNT in Europe, FedEx in USA), minus GPS antenna, minus a small courtesy discount (to reflect potential import fees). 2 year warranty.

For others doing the same or similar, consider eliminating the GPS antenna from your Kanardia order if you already have a "standard" GPS antenna (2.5-12VDC, 50-Ohms, 1.575 GHz) for the instrument you might be replacing. It will save you 20€ (24 US$). If your original antenna doesn't have an SMA connector to mate to the Horis, you may need an adapter (probably MCX or MMCX female to SMA male).

Also, the OAT sensor uses a standard 4P4C modular phone connector (sometimes called a RJ-10). If you need to cut if off to negotiate the OAT cable through your airframe, it's trivial to crimp on a replacement. Just mind the order of the wires on the four positions of the 4P4C connector: Unused, white, brown and green (left-to-right) when looking on the side of 4P4C connector without the tab. Be sure to verify against your original cable if you take this approach.

If my panel had space, I'd go for a GRT Mini, but I can't accommodate that instrument, hence the itty bitty Horis 57.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:42 AM

FedEx package arrived this morning. (My review of tracking information suggests that there was about a week delay in customs.)

The item was well packed and extras included Install / Operating Manual, GPS antenna, temp. probe, 2 "Ts" for pitot / static attachment, wired power plug and a CAN bus plug (don't really know what that is about yet).

Interesting thing about this device is that it is a compact unit with sensors built in: static pressure, dynamic pressure, 3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis angular rate and GPS receiver.

I'll attempt to post some pictures within the next couple days.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
and a CAN bus plug (don't really know what that is about yet.
A CAN (controller area network) bus is a data bus designed for devices to communicate in electrically noisy environments. It's similar to what ethernet is for computers.

In Kanardia's case (as in Garmin's), they use it so their various offerings can talk to each other. Thus, if you have only the Horis, you don't need the bus (the little RJ-45 connector that you have plugged in to the back of the Horis has an embedded resistor to properly terminate the bus). If you have some of the other options, like their magnetometer, or a slave Horis, slave ALT, slave AS, slave VSI, then you'd plug them all together on the CAN bus.

Last edited by RV-14E : 09-14-2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: changed "hosts" to "devices"
Old 09-14-2018, 09:53 AM

Do you think the Kanardia CAN bus will work with MGL CAN bus? (Just reading install manual now about CAN bus terminating plug.)