- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 PM

Default Horizontal Stabilizer - Rear Spar Hole Misalignment

Ran into an issue while trying to finish up the horizontal stabilizer. Everything thus far has fit like a glove, until now. Page 08-12, step 3 has you to insert the rear spar into the stabilizer, cleco it to the backs of the inspar ribs, and then rivet it to the ribs. Step 4 then has you to rivet the skin to the rear spar flanges.

Most of the holes line up fine and can accept the -3 flush rivets with no problem. However, for some reason, on both top and bottom, and at opposite ends, the holes get off alignment somewhat for a series of about 20 or so holes in a row. It wont help to take out the clecos and slide the spar down a bit, since the misaligned holes at one end are in the opposite direction as the other end. In other words, correcting the alignment at one end will only make the other end worse. The plans never had you final drill these holes at any point. Pictured is my worst case misaligned hole.

I may be able to force the rivets in, but worry they will be angled excessively to one side.

Of course my other option is to final drill the holes with an #40 reamer which I do have. Bad part about that is the holes in the spar would no longer be perfectly round.

Has anybody else run into this? Am I splitting hairs here?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated
Westcliffe, CO

RV-14a / Builder #140137
Empennage/Aft Fuselage built / Wings arrived / Build on hold until approx Summer 2016 - can't wait to get restarted!

Last edited by HiPlanesDrifter : 11-28-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:41 AM

A friend just told me that a builder he knows in CO. had the same problem and if I understood correctly Vans sent him some new parts. Suggest contacting them, it was said that some holes were punched incorrect?

FWIW, Larry
Old 11-29-2014, 08:34 AM

Thank you for the reply Larry. When he came across a hole misalignment issue, was it on these same two parts, the horz stabilizer rear spar and skin for an RV14?

Mispunched parts are a possibility, and I will contact Vans. However, they are so close, I am inclined to believe either I have something ever so slightly off position in the assembly process, or else its a tolerance stack up of some kind. This kit is incredibly precise, but no matter what, it cannot be dead on perfect everywhere. Other than this, this stabilizer assembly appears to be extremely straight and true.

I am really curious whether or not these holes aligned perfectly for other RV14 empennage builders.

Thanks!
Chuck
Westcliffe, CO

RV-14a / Builder #140137
Empennage/Aft Fuselage built / Wings arrived / Build on hold until approx Summer 2016 - can't wait to get restarted!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:30 AM

Default Path forward

Okay, after starring at my stabilizer this morning for a bit, I figured out what happened. With the stabilizer mounted in its jig with the leading edge downward, and then when sighting across the length of the trailing edge of the skins, there is an ever-so-slight dip in the middle of the stabilizer, probably on the order of 1/16 inch. I think had the plans had you to cleco in the rear spar prior to riveting the front spar, stringers, and inspar ribs, this would have been avoided. Of course it would have to be removed before actual riveting so you can get the bucking bar inside the stabilizer, but at least everything should be perfectly straight. Taking out this dip would require removing a minimum of 242 skin rivets. Not happening. Perhaps I should have known to cleco in the rear spar anyways. Oh well, chalk it up as a lesson learned. I'll know next time!

With that being said, I don't feel this mistake will be a showstopper. I will contact Vans on Monday to get their opinion. But I think this will be fine by sliding the rear spar a bit to split the error, and then ream the holes in the spar that still don't line up perfectly. I think I can line them up such that only very slight reaming will be required, not compromising the hole shape excessively.
Chuck
Westcliffe, CO

RV-14a / Builder #140137

Last edited by HiPlanesDrifter : 11-29-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:36 AM

HiPlanesDrifter,
See the following links to determine if you have a similar issue:

Description of problem with images
http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2014/03/empennage-horizontal-stabilizer-factory.html
Resolution of problem
http://rv-14a.blogspot.com/2014/05/h...-error-on.html
His original horz. stab. assembled well until the rear spar was added. Clecos were installed from all possible directions and a misalignment manifested itself every time about half way along the left and/or right sides, top and/or bottom of the assembled horz. stab. The hole spacing on the rear spar was off in his opinion and I would have to agree. However, the solution required more than just a replacement spar. Feel free to contact him through his blog. Second try was built without issue.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:53 AM

Chuck

Call Vans on Monday and ask for me. This sounds like a previous problem that we encountered. We'll get you fixed up...
Advanced Flight Systems

Van's Aircraft Inc. Technical Support-Retired
EAA Tech Counselor & Flight Advisor

www.westcoastravens.com
Old 11-29-2014, 03:03 PM

Default Yes, looks like same issue

abrandt,
Thank you for the tip off. I looked at the issue as seen on the links you provided, and it appears I have the same problem.

Joe,
Thank you as well for your reply. I will call you Monday morning. It looks like I have something going on with my rear spar much like in the links that abrandt supplied to me. Even at the exact same rivet holes. I will put down the horizontal stab and instead start the elevator now.

This is precisely one of the main reasons I chose to build an RV over other kits. With so very many helpful folks, along with a very customer oriented Vans staff, I knew I would never feel alone or out there on my own.
Thanks all!
Chuck
Westcliffe, CO

RV-14a / Builder #140137
Old 01-29-2015, 06:07 PM

Default Same issue - HS rear spar hole misalignment

Hi Chuck,

I believe I have the same issue with the HS rear spar. I just got off the phone with Van's support and the gentleman I spoke with is going to get back to me after speaking with another Van's employee who is more familiar with this issue. I was wondering what all was entailed for you in getting the rear spar to fit?
Old 04-13-2015, 08:42 PM

Default This is why I gladly pay my dues!

Yikes! I'm just about to assemble the rear HS spar to the skins and happened across this thread tonight. I think a few minutes with the caliper before I do would be well spent. If my rear spar has this issue I'd rather know now. Thanks to everyone for the trouble shooting on my behalf!
Empennage complete
Fuselage complete.
Finish kit underway.
Gotta order those wings soon!
Old 04-16-2015, 06:13 AM

I also had trouble with hor. Stab. Mis alignment. Will be contacting vans to see what to do . Builder #140206