- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2018, 05:10 PM

Default Finishing Kit Omissions/Options

I know it's been discussed before, but not in depth and apparently at a time when the kits were organized differently as I saw people talking about air vents in the finishing kit.

I have decided to do the wings later in the build, so I am working on the fuselage now and just ordered my engine and propeller in time to get the Oshkosh discount. Next up will be the finishing kit, so I can get my plane on its wheels and mount the engine. The cowling will probably take as many hours as the entire empennage did, anyhow, so I want to get started on that and other tedium soon.

What items should I be leaving out of the finishing kit, or adding to it? I know that the canopy comes in a variety of tint/UV protection options and I'll check into those. I am still debating a wheel/brake upgrade and open to input on that topic. I am building the RV-14 taildragger. What else should I be looking at?

I wish I had asked about the fuselage kit, since I am going to end up with a bunch of unused parts when I am done. Plastic air vents, brake and fuel lines, etc. Same with the static port kit that came with the empennage kit. I'm trying not to have a collection of parts in my basement when I finish the airplane.

Thanks as always to the brain trust here at VAF!
Old 09-13-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I wish I had asked about the fuselage kit, since I am going to end up with a bunch of unused parts when I am done. Plastic air vents, brake and fuel lines, etc. Same with the static port kit that came with the empennage kit. I'm trying not to have a collection of parts in my basement when I finish the airplane.
Van's has a 2 year return policy on many items, less a 10% restocking fee. If you have parts you aren't going to use, the cost is sunk. Consider recouping what you can by returning them.

Their full return policy is located here: https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/return_form.pdf
Old 09-13-2018, 05:58 PM

Vetterman Exhaust
Recommend installing the steps (yes for the 14, Iím 6í3Ē , can step hi/lo, and still would install them).
Best tail wheel system.
H
Old 09-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Here are some things to consider. If you are not using stock wheels/brakes, there are items to omit. Seats from Classic Aero have seatback frames integrated, stock seatbacks can be omitted. If you are not using the stock piano hinge on the cowl, these can be deleted as well.

N902X reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log
Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 PM

What are the alternatives to the piano hinge on the cowl?
Old 09-13-2018, 07:54 PM

Default I love the piano hinge system

Quote:
Would not consider any alternatives. I did add the RV-14 pin covers, canít remember the maker...
Old 09-13-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Quarter turn fasteners.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:55 PM

Camlocs on top and bottom , piano hinge horizontal attaching top to bottom and down the side, bottom cowl. I chose not to paint the camlocs and it looks great.
I did this after noticing the 7 rvís on the field replacing hinge with cams in top/bottom sections.
H
Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Skybolt makes a great "camlock" type fastener kit for the cowlings. We used them on both our RV9a and RV7 builds ... they were functional and looked great!
Rebuilt and Sold - Minimax Ultralight
Partial Restored and Sold - Aeronca Champ
Built and Sold RV9a
Built and Sold RV7

And Repeat Repeat Repeat Offender:
Partnering on an RV-14a
thomas.eh.sampson@frontier.com
2018 Contribution Made
Old 09-19-2018, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the tips on the Skybolt fasteners. I'm almost at the point in the fuselage where you put the hinge material on, so I'd better make a decision and order some parts if I'm going to go that way. Is there any particular reason you kept the piano hinge attachment at the sides of the firewall?