- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
ColoRv,

With regard to explaining the exact behavior you saw, I would recommend you contact us via email and provide the datalog from your flight. We can take a look and let you know exactly what was happening.

You can change the default flight path angle on the GTN. To do this, go to the home menu, then select "Utilities", then select "VNAV". On the VNAV page, press "menu" at the bottom of the screen. A page will pop up to allow you to set the default VNAV angle. The default page is 3.00 degrees. You may want to set this to a more shallow angle.

With regard to arming APPR mode, if you see the ghosted Glide Path (GP) indicator coming down the vertical deviation indicator, you could go ahead and allow the autopilot to capture GP rather than using VNAV for the final descent to the FAF. APPR mode should always be armed prior to the FAF.

At this time, the ability to arm both VNAV and APPR modes is not available in the G3X Touch, but we are considering this as a future enhancement.

Thanks,
Levi

Thanks Levi. Iíll attack the next flight with all of that in mind. Just a new buttonology to get used to I suspect. I believe youíre going to want that VNAV/APPR handoff to be automatic if you can work it out.
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan
Old 09-13-2018, 05:38 PM

Question GTN Screenshots?

Unrelated to the latest software updates....how are you taking screenshots of the GTN?

Is this actually a feature or are you guys using some fancy simulator?

If this is already a capability, I must have overlooked it. It would come in very handy.
RV-8 #82594 Flying since May 2012
Barrett XP-360, Catto 3-Blade, Dual G3X Touch, GTN-650, VP-X
Old 09-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Default Screenshot

Just press and hold the Menu button (you will get a message that the shot has been taken) and the picture is stored on the SD card.

Andy
Old 09-13-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrv View Post
Just press and hold the Menu button (you will get a message that the shot has been taken) and the picture is stored on the SD card.

Andy
...but first check that you have the Screen Shot option turned on in the setup pages. I don't believe it defaults on.
RV-7 (Sold)
RV-8 (Helped build Bob Lund's airplane)
www.phaviation.com Trim Relay Boards/Flap Actuators
www.pathatch.com/blog (Photography)
Track Me
Old 09-13-2018, 10:04 PM

Default GTN Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
Unrelated to the latest software updates....how are you taking screenshots of the GTN?

Is this actually a feature or are you guys using some fancy simulator?

If this is already a capability, I must have overlooked it. It would come in very handy.
Jeff, our bench software supports GTN screenshots, but I do not believe it is available in the released software. I will follow up with the software team and see if that is a possible future improvement.

Pat/Andy, you are correct in your response for the G3X Touch, but the question was specifically referencing the GTN.

Thanks,
Levi
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 PM

Thanks Levi for all this great information. One question: I'm having trouble finding what you describe as, "the approach vertical guidance is ghosted on the deviation indicator as a gray diamond showing a preview of glidepath (GP)."

I see the white diamond on the vertical deviation indicator on your screenshot, but not a gray one.

I'm sure it's staring me right in the face. Again, thanks for the tutorial.

Last edited by Spirko : 09-14-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirko View Post
Thanks Levi for all this great information. One question: I'm having trouble finding what you describe as, "the approach vertical guidance is ghosted on the deviation indicator as a gray diamond showing a preview of glidepath (GP)."

I see the white diamond on the vertical deviation indicator on your screenshot, but not a gray one.

I'm sure it's staring me right in the face. Again, thanks for the tutorial.
Spirko, You are on the right path! It looked somewhat gray on the display, but does look mostly white in the screenshot.

Thanks,
Levi
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:54 PM

I took another run at it today. RNAV 27 at BKV starting at PABBI @ 2500ft. VNAV drops altitude to 2k prior (mostly) to AZBOG. Approaching IGNAQ VNAV is waiting for the last minute descent to 1800 when the white diamond starts down the vertical deviation indicator. Push APPR and shortly thereafter the vertical deviation indicator disappears. GP still in the autopilot bar but itís no longer coupled. Holds 2k. Next flight Iíll try waiting until the VNAV starts the 200í dive for IGNAQ. I am really glad I didnít jump into an actual IFR flight with this new update. Iím sure the buttonolgy will get easier once I figure out WHAT IT WANTS, but it is not intuitive, at least not for me. Iíve flown this system in a lot of IFR this year with nothing but wonder at how amazing it is.
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan
Old 09-15-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRv View Post
I took another run at it today. RNAV 27 at BKV starting at PABBI @ 2500ft. VNAV drops altitude to 2k prior (mostly) to AZBOG. Approaching IGNAQ VNAV is waiting for the last minute descent to 1800 when the white diamond starts down the vertical deviation indicator. Push APPR and shortly thereafter the vertical deviation indicator disappears. GP still in the autopilot bar but itís no longer coupled. Holds 2k. Next flight Iíll try waiting until the VNAV starts the 200í dive for IGNAQ. I am really glad I didnít jump into an actual IFR flight with this new update. Iím sure the buttonolgy will get easier once I figure out WHAT IT WANTS, but it is not intuitive, at least not for me. Iíve flown this system in a lot of IFR this year with nothing but wonder at how amazing it is.
ColoRv,

Unfortunately, there is just not enough information to determine what is happening in your situation. I have been watching the G3Xpert inbox. Please send us your data log if you would like us to help you determine why the system is behaving in this way.

I think it is worth noting that if you were to fly the system in the same way you did in the past, ignoring all the new VNAV items, the system will function as it did prior to 6.20. In that case, you would typically perform a descent in Vertical Speed mode down to the altitude in which you pick up the glide path and then arm the approach. If you are uncomfortable using the new features, especially in a situation where you are relying on it, I would recommend operating it in the way that you best understand.

One final thought, if you are seeing the white diamond on the vertical deviation indicator, there is no issue with capturing the Glide Path (GP) versus relying on VNAV to descend you the last 200 feet to the FAF. However, if you cross the glide path and now the vertical deviation indicator is showing you as above the flight path, the autopilot will not descend to capture the GP.

Thanks,
Levi
Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 AM

I think what he described he did was what this note posted earlier addresses:

“NOTE: If APPR mode is armed prior to capturing the final VNAV descent leg, the autopilot will not capture the final VNAV descent leg.”

I may be wrong but that is how I read it.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook