Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2018, 09:55 AM

I downloaded / installed and test flew the upgrades to both the GTN (6.50) and G3X touch (6.20) on 9/12, didn't have any issues.

The G3X updates took no time at all. The GTN took maybe 7-8 minutes or so.
RV-8 wings / fuse in progress ... still
N329TS (had it, lost it, looking for new number)
Old 09-15-2018, 02:22 AM

Installed G3X v6.20 and GTN v6.5 today, the update went smoothly. On the ARINC 429 config page (of the GTN) I changed the "Out 1 Data" from "Gama Format 1" to "Garmin 429."

Love the VNAV, love the QWERTY keyboard.

One thing I'm bumping up against is explained in section 6.4 of the new (Rev N) GTN Pilot's Guide,
"v5.13 and Earlier or v6.50 and Later; If you build your flight plan with the destination airport at the end and then load an approach procedure, you will navigate all the way to the destination airport before joining the procedure. Be sure when LOADING and not ACTIVATING an approach procedure that the route to be flown is correct."

Please help me understand, in what situation would one ever navigate first to the destination airport and then fly back out to an IAF? Those of you who used GTN v5.13 (and before) would you just delete the airport as soon as you loaded the approach? Why this extra step?

Alternatively, if you "Load and Activate" the Approach Procedure, the GTN wipes out all the waypoints remaining in the flight plan and flies Direct To whatever IAF you've chosen for your approach.

What SOP do you use while flying approaches with a GTN?

Last edited by Spirko : 09-15-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 AM

Default wierd

Thats weird but it dosen't happen that way. I just tried it on the new software simulator. I put in a flight plan with the destination airport then put in and activated the approach with vector to the IAP. It navigated to the IAP not the destination airport. Now the airport is still in the flight plan but is overridden by the approach.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:23 AM

Big difference between LOADING and LOAD AND ACTIVATE. Loading it does just that. Loads the points of the approach at the end of the flight plan. ACTIVATING it is almost like a DIRECT TO entry. If you LOAD AND ACTIVATE , it will navigate from that point direct to the selected IAF and drop whatís left on the flight plan.
If you select VECTORS TO FINAL it extends the magenta line toward the FAF on the inbound course and uses the FAF as the point. You have to fly the plane to a point where you can intercept the magenta line.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 09-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooch View Post
Thats weird but it dosen't happen that way. I just tried it on the new software simulator. I put in a flight plan with the destination airport then put in and activated the approach with vector to the IAP. It navigated to the IAP not the destination airport. Now the airport is still in the flight plan but is overridden by the approach.
It may not work that way in the software simulator, but it does work that way with the GTN in the plane. If you LOAD an approach, but do not activate, the GTN flies you to the destination airport first, then back to the IAF. If you LOAD AND ACTIVATE the GTN blows away all your waypoints before the IAF.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:57 AM

Default ?

Didnít I just say that I loaded and activated the approach? I think we are in agreement. And I have tried it in my plane but I went to the simulator to check before I posted. The simulator works exactly like the real thing
Old 09-15-2018, 11:17 AM

The vectors selection drops all but the FAF. It doesnít use the IAF at all. Not sure how you Activated Vectors to the IAF.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 09-15-2018, 11:38 AM

Default Vectors

Before you load and activate the approach, press the vectors button and select the fix
Old 09-15-2018, 02:39 PM

I had issues with grasping this concept when we installed the GTN-650 also. When one entered the flight plan (Start - Way-point(s) - Dst Airport), then load an approach with an IAF. The GTN will append the approach (IAF - fixes - Dst Airport) at the end of the flight plan while keeping the first Dst Airport. If you arrive at the Dst airport in VFR condition and cancel your IFR flight plan to fly the visual to the runway; it works.

If you keep your IFR flight plan, when approach ATC provide instructions (Direct to IAF, Vectors, etc.) for the approach. Yes, you'll need to Activate the approach and follow ATC's instructions. Activating the approach will jump the pointer to the first way-point on the approach.

I initially thought why Garmin/GTN kept two instances of the Dst airport, why they didn't delete/remove the first Dst airport instance. The present method has the PIC activating the approach at the appropriate time, sort of a confirmation.
RV-14A Empennage
QB Wings & Fuse
Old 09-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Loading the approach puts the fixes in queue. Activate the approach ONLY when cleared for the approach by ATC. Any waypoints between you and the IAF (or vector) will be eliminated.

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017 donor and happy to do it.