VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-12-2017, 07:12 AM

I've enjoyed reading this thread and watching the videos.

I now know I am not alone in the initial ability to land my RV-6 without bouncing.

It took 5 hours of transition before I was comfortable to go alone.

I'm now up to 15 hours and comfortably (sort a) doing wheelies on command.

Previously I've been doing wheelies with airspeed at 80 mph over the threshold and just a touch of power. The success rate (no bounce) was about 70-80 %.

After reading this thread, I went out to practice wheelies with airspeed at 90 mph over the threshold and wheelies with airspeed at 70 mph over the threshold. BTW, my Vso is 56 mph.

I had to be much more precise on the touch with the 90 mph approaches, which makes sense because of the excess flying speed on the plane. But it was good practice on learning how to get it on and stick. The attitude was very level on the touch.

The 70 mph approaches were the easiest. It was tail low, and just a small release of back pressure kept it on the wheels with no bounce.

Also of note, I tried to use the "look at the end of the runway" technique, but alas, that will only work with a "level" runway. If the runway slopes up or down or has a crown or a dip -- not so much.

Had the RV grin all day.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:49 AM

Read this whole thread. Glad I'm going to fly with Mike Seager a bunch before I try and fly my 8. I've only got about 20 hours recent tailwheel time in a Citabria.. but I couldn't resist the RV8 when I had the chance.. Hoping all goes well in about a month..

Last edited by DougCronkhite : 07-27-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 PM

Since hiring on with the airlines my tail wheel time has dwindled, thought I might read this thread again

Y’all enjoy Osh
Old 08-31-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrewer View Post
I've enjoyed reading this thread and watching the videos.

I now know I am not alone in the initial ability to land my RV-6 without bouncing.
I've been struggling with landing 2' in the air during my transition training. It's frustrating because I feel like I'm just repeating my mistakes. I can't seem to find a good reference to my altitude once I start the round-out, and I'm consistently over-controlling and hunting for the ground on final (this is in Mike Seager's RV7). I'm confident I'll get it figured out, but man it's frustrating right now.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCronkhite View Post
I've been struggling with landing 2' in the air during my transition training. It's frustrating because I feel like I'm just repeating my mistakes. I can't seem to find a good reference to my altitude once I start the round-out, and I'm consistently over-controlling and hunting for the ground on final (this is in Mike Seager's RV7). I'm confident I'll get it figured out, but man it's frustrating right now.
I am by no means any kind of an authority, but it helps to focus on the other end of the runway on short final. If you're used to larger planes that don't react to every little gust of wind like these do, it's easy to get into over controlling, especially when you're looking at the runway just in front of the plane.

One other little trick that my hangar mate (retired carrier pilot) told me was to take the plane out on the runway and try to burn the sight picture into your mind as to what it looks like as you sit there in a 3 point attitude. I haven't done that as much yet, but I plan to. My landings are still inconsistent. A couple of greasers and then a couple of bouncers. It's all a part of the process and it's fun because it's an achievable goal.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 09-05-2018, 11:36 PM

Ultimately what did it for me was to improve my scan during the flare and look down the side of the nose a bit to get a better altitude reference. I'm still by no means relaxed and nailing every landing, but I'm passable, and not abusing the landing gear (mostly).

Was really nice to get that first flight in my own RV-8 today though.. that's for sure!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCronkhite View Post
I just had a remarkably similar experience while doing some training with Mike. Since my 8 won't be finished until spring I'm going to go back for another 3 days and hopefully clean some things up.

What a great instructor he is though!
Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 PM

He absolutely is! I felt like I was really abusing his RV-7 at times, but he remained cool and collected and educating the entire time. I will say after spending 3 days with Mike that my initial flights in my 8 were an absolute non-issue. I now have about 25 landings in mine, and am feeling very confident with it, with the caveat that I'm expecting it to make a run for the weeds at any moment so not getting complacent with it..
Old 09-23-2018, 08:02 PM

Default STRAKES!!!

Ive have my RV 8 for 2 years...3 points were always challenging...then my buddy told me about Strakes..i installed them....WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!!! MUCH MUCH easier to land!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND them!!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:41 AM

Default Strakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmba View Post
Ive have my RV 8 for 2 years...3 points were always challenging...then my buddy told me about Strakes..i installed them....WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!!! MUCH MUCH easier to land!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND them!!
Just curious - where did you by your strakes?