Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-27-2018, 07:58 PM

Default 22 iS Fuselage question

Page 22iS/U-05, Step 1
I want to understand exactly where to scuff. 1) Is it only where tank sealant is called for in Steps 4 & 5? Or will there be sealant applied to the remainder of the firewall edges in another section?
2) Also, since Iíve painted F-01272-1 and F-01217-L & R, should I assume Iíll need to remove the paint where they mate to the firewall so that tank sealant adheres? Iím not painting the firewall.
3) Is the sealant there just to protect against heat, fumes, fire, moisture etc? I donít think it was called for in the old fuselage kit. Thanks Rob
iS Fuselage in progress
ULS Fuselage kit - SOLD

Farmer - corn & soybeans
Firefighter
2018 Dues Paid
Knoxville, IL
Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM

Fuel tank sealant is not fireproof. It gives off toxic fumes when burning. And once ignited, keeps burning.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:19 PM

Thanks Joe, Iím sure with a fire, the sealant would be low on the worry list. Not really the question. Maybe someone could respond whoís built the new iS fuselage kit. Iím wanting to know if thereís sealant just between the two ribs and on the top flange of the firewall like it describes in this section? Or, if more sealant is applied in a later section around the remaining edge? I donít want to scuff and clean more than necessary.
iS Fuselage in progress
ULS Fuselage kit - SOLD

Farmer - corn & soybeans
Firefighter
2018 Dues Paid
Knoxville, IL
Old 09-10-2018, 12:37 PM

I just do what the book tells me to do. I know the other edges get sealed with tank sealant (not sure why its tank sealant and not firewall sealant). I'm not sure why the entire bottom joint isn't sealed..and its only the center.

My guess is that and moisture on the firewall will travel down.. hit the two stiffeners..and be channeled to the center part of the firewall where it would seep inside the center channel (between pilot and copilot).
Old 09-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
I just do what the book tells me to do. I know the other edges get sealed with tank sealant (not sure why its tank sealant and not firewall sealant). I'm not sure why the entire bottom joint isn't sealed..and its only the center.

My guess is that and moisture on the firewall will travel down.. hit the two stiffeners..and be channeled to the center part of the firewall where it would seep inside the center channel (between pilot and copilot).
The entire perimeter of the firewall is sealed in a later step, when completing the forward fuselage.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post
The entire perimeter of the firewall is sealed in a later step, when completing the forward fuselage.
Correct

Just the bottom center is done during assembly because the fwd tunnel is very narrow and sealing is difficult to do after it is assembled.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")