- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Default Looking at a used kit- couple of questions

Hey All,

I came across an rv7a kit this weekend.

Quick build wing (still in the box)
slow build fuselage (parts out of the boxes, but more or less untouched)
replacement "big" rudder parts

The kit is from 2001-2002 time frame. In fact, I looked at the packing list and it's so faded pretty much all I could tell was that it was originally printed on a dot matrix.

Everything looks relatively intact and undamaged, although there are some black streaks on one of the wing skins and I'm unsure if it's ink or goo from the wrapping or maybe some kind of surface corrosion. I know that it's hard to say without looking at it, but I don't recall ever seeing black corrosion on alclad parts so any insight on what that might be is appreciated.

Basically, I'm just throwing it out here to the experts; are there any gotchas I should know about if I decide to make a run at it?
Old 09-09-2018, 03:18 PM

Default Not fill form corrosion

Well its not fill form corrosion.It forms as white powder and then dust as the metal deteriorates. Where was the kit stored? How old is the kit?Most likely oil residue from shipping.Photos help if you can post them. What is the asking price?
RHill
Old 09-09-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
Hey All,

I came across an rv7a kit this weekend.

Quick build wing (still in the box)
slow build fuselage (parts out of the boxes, but more or less untouched)
replacement "big" rudder parts

The kit is from 2001-2002 time frame. In fact, I looked at the packing list and it's so faded pretty much all I could tell was that it was originally printed on a dot matrix.

Everything looks relatively intact and undamaged, although there are some black streaks on one of the wing skins and I'm unsure if it's ink or goo from the wrapping or maybe some kind of surface corrosion. I know that it's hard to say without looking at it, but I don't recall ever seeing black corrosion on alclad parts so any insight on what that might be is appreciated.

Basically, I'm just throwing it out here to the experts; are there any gotchas I should know about if I decide to make a run at it?
I'd call Van's and ask for a packing list for what should have been included in the QB wing kit and the fuse kit. Then, I'd inventory what the seller has against that list to verify completeness.

The black streaks could be corrosion. Get some denatured alcohol and try to wipe the streaks off. If that doesn't do it, they could be corrosion. That shouldn't be a deal breaker - it'll probably just require a little phosphoric acid and some elbow grease to remove.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 09-09-2018, 03:35 PM

Start here -
https://vansaircraft.com/pdf/usedrvkit.pdf

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:30 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. He's asking $20k for everything, including tools (which I don't really need). Was planning to call vans this morning to see if I could get a packing list and to make sure I could establish a paper trail in order to prevent any future issues with registration etc.

He bought the kit around 2002 when he was in the Navy and it's lived in Georgia and Missouri since then. I'll upload a couple of pictures if I can figure out the mysteries of image hosting.

Basically, there's black stuff on a couple of wing skins and on one of the spar caps.

I don't recall ever seeing black corrosion on alclad parts, and certainly not on anodized parts, but it's been literally decades since I've worked as an A&P and even then, it was with the new jet prototypes that were coming out of Brand C in Wichita, not stuff that had been in storage for 15 years or so.

Last edited by Desert Rat : 09-10-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: added pix
Old 09-10-2018, 09:34 AM

I agree with the black stuff just being residual preservative oil. If it helps, I know of one kit for sale now (7), priced at $17.5k. QB wings and fuselage with empennage, flaps, and ailerons built, no finishing kit. No tools. Estate sale, priced for quick sell. I have agreed to assist the sellers rep and buyer with inventory. Just to give you an idea of what might be out there.
I thought of buying it myself, but I donít have time to deal with the projects I already have! Still tempting....

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
I agree with the black stuff just being residual preservative oil. If it helps, I know of one kit for sale now (7), priced at $17.5k. QB wings and fuselage with empennage, flaps, and ailerons built, no finishing kit. No tools. Estate sale, priced for quick sell. I have agreed to assist the sellers rep and buyer with inventory. Just to give you an idea of what might be out there.
I thought of buying it myself, but I donít have time to deal with the projects I already have! Still tempting....
If that's the one on barnstormer, I saw it as well. Tempting for sure, but I called Partain for a quick and dirty shipping estimate and they said $2-3K to Wichita. The advantage to this one is that it's a 3 hour drive from my house and if he'll negotiate on the price, I'm money ahead to pick it up myself, even if it's a slow build fuse.

Thanks for the input!