- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmanreef View Post
E-

So is putting the exhaust in place prior to the nose gear a "gotcha"?

Maybe a separate thread should be started with this as a discussion. I know that I would be pissed if I put the engine on and found out I had to release the nose gear to get the exhaust in place.

I went out and tried putting the tailpipe in with the nose gear link assembly "in place". As E stated, it does not look like it will go in with the assembly in place.

thanks
ken
Ken,
No, that would not be an issue. To install the exhaust, the nose gear (portion in the picture) need to be removed to accommodate the installation of the tail pipe. It is actually pretty easy but will require to lift up the front of the plane off its nose gear.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
scott-

so what I said originally was correct? Snug down the bolt so that the bolt moves with the nose gear and the bushing is the part that rotates inside the engine mount.

Thanks
Ken
Correct
Just confirm that the bushing is just slightly longer than the more in the strut so that you know for sure that the clamping force is on the bushing and not the strut end.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-04-2018, 03:09 PM

isn't it easier to just put in place now? Or will it be in the way? I will have to find an engine lift at some point, but I don't think that I will be able to have it around for a long time. Unless the local EAA has one.

I don't know what the timing is between mounting engine and putting on exhaust system.

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)
Old 09-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
E-

So is putting the exhaust in place prior to the nose gear a "gotcha"?

Maybe a separate thread should be started with this as a discussion. I know that I would be pissed if I put the engine on and found out I had to release the nose gear to get the exhaust in place.

I went out and tried putting the tailpipe in with the nose gear link assembly "in place". As E stated, it does not look like it will go in with the assembly in place.

thanks
ken
I have fitted that part of the exhaust numerous times without disconnecting the strut but i will admit it is a bit of a puzzle to do it.
It is also possible that there is a very slight variation from one system to the other that makes some fit and others not, but I have not had to disconnect the strut to install 3 different systems on an RV-14A.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 09-04-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
isn't it easier to just put in place now? Or will it be in the way? I will have to find an engine lift at some point, but I don't think that I will be able to have it around for a long time. Unless the local EAA has one.

I don't know what the timing is between mounting engine and putting on exhaust system.
If you do have to disconnect it later you don't need an engine lift.

Think outside the box....

Add some weight to the tail and push the tail to the floor....lifting the weight entirely off of the nose gear and allowing you to do whatever you need.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Old 09-04-2018, 03:47 PM

yeah, I know I can push down on the tail. I was just being a pain. Also, I would not have to take anything apart. Although after building this long, I am used to putting it on, taking it off, repeat, repeat, repeat. I am really looking forward to the cowling. I understand that require a lot of repeating.

RV-14 (serial number 140073)
N73XP (at least that # reserved now)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafa View Post
Ken,
No, that would not be an issue. To install the exhaust, the nose gear (portion in the picture) need to be removed to accommodate the installation of the tail pipe. It is actually pretty easy but will require to lift up the front of the plane off its nose gear.
No need to disconnect the nose gear to get the stock Vans exhaust tail pipe into the tunnel.
Gentle fiddling allows it to be installed from the forward or engine side, without much trouble.
In my case I had to do it twice!