VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-24-2018, 09:03 PM

Default Alternators

Can someone tell me which alternator is supplied with the IO-540 that Van's sells, Is it 60 amps? Is it internally regulated? Who is the manufacturer? I am at the tail-end of the fuselage phase with the finishing kit on site. I am starting the panel work and this info would be helpful. Thanks
Old 08-24-2018, 11:04 PM

60 amp, internally regulated, Plane Power (now owned by someone else - Hartzel?)
Old 08-25-2018, 06:15 AM

If you have not purchased the FF kit with the alternator, do yourself a favor and purchase the B&C 60 amp alternator and the external regulator.
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 08-25-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill.Peyton View Post
If you have not purchased the FF kit with the alternator, do yourself a favor and purchase the B&C 60 amp alternator and the external regulator.
Call up B&C, they frequently have offers that amounts to a free regulator, putting the price very close to the PP 60A. Nice people and knowledge.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Old 08-27-2018, 04:19 PM

When I ordered my FF kit, I had Van's delete the alternator. I then purchased 2 alternators (primary and a backup driven off the vac pump gear) from B&C. Along with these I bought the B&C kit to relocate the oil filter to fit with the backup alternator and the voltage regulators. Just be sure to install the oil filter parts and the backup alternator before you hang the engine on the firewall.

B&C has a kit for the RV-10 that includes a starter as well, but since Lycoming provides the starter with the engine, I asked B&C to send me everything in that kit but the alternator.

Cheers,

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid
Old 08-31-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMA View Post
When I ordered my FF kit, I had Van's delete the alternator. I then purchased 2 alternators (primary and a backup driven off the vac pump gear) from B&C. Along with these I bought the B&C kit to relocate the oil filter to fit with the backup alternator and the voltage regulators. Just be sure to install the oil filter parts and the backup alternator before you hang the engine on the firewall.

B&C has a kit for the RV-10 that includes a starter as well, but since Lycoming provides the starter with the engine, I asked B&C to send me everything in that kit but the (starter).
I did the same. Did Vans stop shipping the lightweight starter?

If not, I suggest avoiding it and getting the 'normal' starter. The lightweight starter requires too much juice to turn over.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Starter on RV-10 Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauleDriver View Post
I did the same. Did Vans stop shipping the lightweight starter?
In my case last fall Van's didn't ship the starter, it came directly from Lycoming attached to the engine. If it had shipped separately I probably would have deleted it and bought a B&C starter, but deleting it was not possible when buying the standard Lycoming engine. (The option to purchase the custom engine through Van's wasn't available when I ordered mine.)

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid