Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-26-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
I hear my -9(A) in the overhead right now. It only has about 2000hrs on it. The only thing I wish for is an IO-360 simply for time to climb to FL180 where the fun really begins. I've been really eyeing that beautiful Barrett IO-360 sitting on the shop floor for some time now...
Do it - you'll never look back.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Do it - you'll never look back.
Oh, man, don't tempt me. Our wing is just so happy up there and a joy to watch the miles just tick away at almost no fuel flow while sucking O2, eating a sandwich (always tastes better at altitude), above "some" of the summer puffies. A lot of other RV pilots don't know what we know .
The mixture adjustment up there with the O320 is a micro turn between happy and very un-happy engine . And, man, passing through 15k' in the climb, more HP please! I'm a "pilot", I can manage the power just as well as any other professional that can over speed their airframe too.
There, I said it, I feel better .

Let's see, N4822C, V.2 - new panel, tail dragger conversion, IO-360. Mission: Long haul, high altitude, 2-up... I think I even have a plan sold to the CFO. Other ships available for all the other down low stuff.
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 08-27-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
Oh, man, don't tempt me. Our wing is just so happy up there and a joy to watch the miles just tick away at almost no fuel flow while sucking O2, eating a sandwich (always tastes better at altitude), above "some" of the summer puffies. A lot of other RV pilots don't know what we know .
The mixture adjustment up there with the O320 is a micro turn between happy and very un-happy engine . And, man, passing through 15k' in the climb, more HP please! I'm a "pilot", I can manage the power just as well as any other professional that can over speed their airframe too.
There, I said it, I feel better .

Let's see, N4822C, V.2 - new panel, tail dragger conversion, IO-360. Mission: Long haul, high altitude, 2-up... I think I even have a plan sold to the CFO. Other ships available for all the other down low stuff.
If I'm solo with full (standard) fuel, I'm just dialing the autopilot back from 500 fpm to 400 fpm holding about 95 knots in the climb as I'm coming up on 17,500.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post

Truly an amazing aircraft!
Ditto what Bill said. I had never flown a dragon tail until I built my -9, (except for the tail wagger endorsement). Great flying plane with good visibility over the nose using the Van's tail wheel. Perfect plane to get me and my spousal unit anywhere, quickly, economically and comfortably.

Slightly, slightly less expensive than the -9A.

Robert
Phase 1 completeded - FLYING Phase 2
Mosquito XEL kit in garage being built.