What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ul power engines

I am unaware of any, but was quite impressed with the engine when I looked it over at Oshkosh. I have heard very little, good or bad about it.

There is a Zenith CH-650 with the 130hp UL engine on their website. Similar aircraft but I think I would go with one of the lower HP UL engines.

Last edited:
UL Engine in RV12

We are currently working with the US Distributer to install a 109 HP engine and developing a Firewall Forward Kit.
We will keep you appraised of the progress

UL Power

We are currently working with the US Distributer to install a 109 HP engine and developing a Firewall Forward Kit.
We will keep you appraised of the progress

Great News..!! I have been looking forward to someone doing a FWF kit for the RV12 as well.........I'm sure it will be a Winning Combo as the UL Engine seems a Winner too!
Look forward to Furture developments on this Intallation. Do you have a Web site we can follow at all..?
Cheers John H.

Last edited:
UL Power

I am unaware of any, but was quite impressed with the engine when I looked it over at Oshkosh. I have heard very little, good or bad about it.

There is a Gentleman called Steve from Carnation.WA who has installed a 360i in his JUST Highlander ( N419BD )a year or so back.....apart from some teething Problems he seems more then Happy with the Engine Perfomance, Power, Smoothness & Fuel Consumption...........In England they fly two UL Powered Silence Aerobatic Aircraft Regulary (260Si ) so I think the engine is developing a good reputation so far which is good to Hear! I have friends flying with these engines in NZ and are more then Happy with them!

Last edited:
Good discussion

I joined this site after finding out that Zenith had put the 350iS in their 650B. The RV-12 with the UL260iS at 107hp would be ideal in my opinion. The new technology is long overdue.

I look forward to watching comments to see this develop. I hope Vans picks up on this and offers the 260iS as an optional power plant.

Fuel Flow

As I research they seem high on fuel usage.

Hi Jim from what I can find out the 260iS is not to bad on the fuel flow going from the Silence Aircraft Cross Country Trip they did. Granted the 360iS uses quite a bit more specially at high power settings but still well under a Lycoming equivalant mate......Any way still a nice Alternative Engine I'm sure Be interesting to see how the RV-12 FWF Installation goes!
Cheers John.

UL Engine for RV-12

We have the vendor ready to do the Engine mount and the cowling for the 107 HP UL Power Engine. Still waiting on the US Distributor to commit to the installation. We will establish a Web site to follow progress once we get started
with the installation.

We have the vendor ready to do the Engine mount and the cowling for the 107 HP UL Power Engine. Still waiting on the US Distributor to commit to the installation. We will establish a Web site to follow progress once we get started
with the installation.

Looking forward to following the installation. I would appreciate your posting in this thread when the site is up, as I am subscribed to it and will be notified.

Thanks

Mike

UL Engine in RV12

Placed the order for the 107 HP engine today, UL260iS.
It should arrive in about 30 days. We will post installation information
as we progress

UL Power

Placed the order for the 107 HP engine today, UL260iS.
It should arrive in about 30 days. We will post installation information
as we progress

Thanks Al look Forward to Hearing & Seeing the Engine Installations thanks for your work!

UL Power 260iS RV12

We are scheduled for our AW inspection tomorrow 06/29/2012.
We will post pictures of first flight.

Good luck Al

From this thread it appears you are out there on the leading edgewith this installation. I'm hoping it all goes well for you.

Bob Axsom

AW Inspection

From this thread it appears you are out there on the leading edgewith this installation. I'm hoping it all goes well for you.

Bob Axsom

Is is a fine well designed kit.
I am confident the engine/prop and airframe are a very good match.

We should be in Phase One in a couple of days.

We will keep everyone appraised.

Regards

AL

Al and Brenda, I can't wait to see pictures and video if you can of your first flight. It has been quite a bit of work for you two to blaze the trail for the UL engine. Thanks and have a great flight!

Brenda received the Airworthiness Certificate today.
We will be doing the initial flight in a couple of days.

Regards

AL and Brenda

And a great big congratulations to Brenda for passing this milestone! Good luck on that first flight.

30K ++

The UL looks like a good choice until the price tag
I think it is over 30K with all things to make it work
I think I will go with the 3300 Jab

Oren's 12 is preforming very well with the jab with over 220hrs

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind when considering Jabiru vs UL Power or Viking-- the Jabiru has absolutely zero dependence on your electrical system to keep the prop turning. I think this is a big safety concern. People need to realize that the "modern" computer technology has a price in the form of a reliable secondary battery and/or charging system with electronic fuel injection and ECU.

Just so everyone is aware of all the facts: The Viking will continue to run even if the single battery falls overboard, by getting power for the twin ECU's from the alternator. If the alternator AND the battery fails, you get to walk home.

Just Wondering!

Last summer at OSH the RV12 on display with the Viking engine had two batteries installed and if one ECU failed you had to manually select the back up ECU. Have they figured out how to make the ECUs switch automatically and now do they use one battery instead of two?:confused:

I have a Viking powered RV-12 with the dual battery setup. Mine is wired as A/B bus power that has selectable A or B bus power to the ECU in addition to the Primary and Backup ECU selection (does not care which power Bus is switched in). Also have dual Fuel pumps, one on each power bus. Batteries are selectable as A/BOTH/B. Of course the alternator is the primary spouce of power if life is good. Also using two LiFePO4 batteries to save weight. This is not the standard Viking electrical design, I used some of the ideas from Bob Nuckolls Aeroelectric book to simplify and imrpove the design. That is three power sources to two ECUs and two Fuel pumps, so hopefully i will not be walking home.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

The two lithium batteries is a recent thing, I am old school and have only one lead/acid type. I had never thought about the toggle switch to change ECU's, even at my age I think I can still flip a switch (which also switches you to a different fuel pump). I am not sure I would WANT it to switch by itself.

Last summer at OSH the RV12 on display with the Viking engine had two batteries installed and if one ECU failed you had to manually select the back up ECU. Have they figured out how to make the ECUs switch automatically and now do they use one battery instead of two?:confused:

People need to realize that the "modern" computer technology has a price in the form of a reliable secondary battery and/or charging system with electronic fuel injection and ECU.

Gosh guys, no need to defend your choice. Viking and ULPower thus far have no known failures in flight that I am aware of. What Katie said is there is added engineering needed to meet the reliability required for an aircraft when using modern technology. The engineering results in reduced simplicity of design, which means added cost and weight. The Rotax 912is is a good example when compared to the 912 carb version.
Jabiru is a very simple design that uses magnetos and carburation, like Lycoming and Continental, even simpler than the 912 because of no water cooling. I am trading redundant systems weight for a small arse on the wife and myself.

UL Powered RV-12

We have been flying for almost 2 years now. Overall we have been very pleased with the UL Power engine.

Our Firewall Forward costs were just over 20K including a $2,000 Sensenich Propeller. The few engine warranty issues were handled very expeditiously by UL Power.

Now for the propeller.

We purchased it from Sensenich. It has now been recalled for compatibility issues with the UL Power engine.

Sensenich is asking for us to pay an additional $ 1000 to exchange for a new design. I can tell you I am very displeased with the Sensenich warranty support.

Al, sorry to hear about the propeller problems. It doesn't sound like Sensenich is being very reasonable. I would think if they sold you the propeller knowing what engine it was going on, they should charge you to fix problems with it. I am sure they sell plenty of propellers to the certified world, but the kind of service they are giving you will travel through the experimental world pretty quickly.

Best of luck getting things sorted out. I enjoy the story of your build and flying. Thanks

Catto Prop

Wonder if Catto would be interested in helping you. Their props are beautiful and efficient. I'd give them a call and see if they were interested enough to help you. Best to you on whatever you decide.

I built an Aventura HP with an HKS-700 engine that required electrical input. It was a simple solution to install a small motorcycle battery with a manual selector switch for each ignition module. Those batteries are pretty light. The standby battery was enough to fly as long as the gas lasted.

I spoke briefly with Sensenich people at Sun N Fun about this, my confusion was that they sell the same prop for the four cyl direct drive Jabiru, but don't want it used on the 4 cyl direct drive UL. Based on responses, apparently the UL is a higher compression engine and the firing pulses are enough greater that the prop falied (in Al's case). Since I am using a Sensenich on my Viking, I wanted assurances that the one I have would be OK. It is a different model, but is supposed to be compatible with the geared engine of 110 hp
Wonder if Catto would be interested in helping you. Their props are beautiful and efficient. I'd give them a call and see if they were interested enough to help you. Best to you on whatever you decide.

counter-balance ?

Don I talked to a designer of the UL at SunnFun two years ago and I think it is the way UL handless the Piston counter-balance.

I spoke briefly with Sensenich people at Sun N Fun about this, my confusion was that they sell the same prop for the four cyl direct drive Jabiru, but don't want it used on the 4 cyl direct drive UL. Based on responses, apparently the UL is a higher compression engine and the firing pulses are enough greater that the prop falied (in Al's case). Since I am using a Sensenich on my Viking, I wanted assurances that the one I have would be OK. It is a different model, but is supposed to be compatible with the geared engine of 110 hp

UL Power Propeller

We have been waiting on a Cato prop for this installation since last summer.
We are not sure of the current delivery status.

We have been working with Whirlwind on a prop for our Rv12. They have been excellent to work with.

Sensenich Propeller on UL Power Engine

See Sensenich service bulletin SB 2014-02-04
Subject Use of Jabiru Composite propeller blades on UL Power Engines.
Models R64Z, L62P and R62H.
All Blade Serial Numbers Discontinue use immediately contact Factory.

Back