What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wrong nutplates from Vans

danboy

So here's my issue. When completing page 16-3, it tells me to rivet a K1100-08 nutplate to the aft holes of the skin. I pulled out one of my 224 K1100-08 nutplates that I inventoried only to discover that the #8 dimple of the skin does not fit into it. After a little research I discovered that the difference between a K1000 and a K1100 is the K1100 has a bigger opening to accept a skin dimple. Van's sent me 224 K1000-08 nutplates -not K1100-08 as the bag was labeled. This one nutplate is not a big deal -I can get another. What about the 56 K1100-08 nutplates that were supposed to be installed on each spar though? At the time, I had no idea I was actually installing K1000-08's Is that going to cause me a problem later on? Please tell me I don't need to drill all of those out. I've emailed Van's but haven't heard back yet. I hope they will make this right and send me the correct ones.

Yes they are....strange that it calls for K1100 plates....just don't know if there's something down the road that's going to cause issues.

Others may be in a better position to respond , it's been a while since I riveted nut plates to the spar.
To the best of my recollection the spar needs countersunk nut plates in most places to accept CS screws.
Before you drill out and re install the "correct" ones, wait for someone else to
comment.
I am sure Van will send you the correct nut plates, not to worry.

Ernst has it. The screws have a smooth, unthreaded shank (always best to not have threads in the spar hole), so if you used the K1000 nutplate it is possible you will run out of thread (onto the shank) before the screw comes tight. Vans may authorize an alternate screw for you. Ask them.

If you need to remove all of them I would suggest grinding off the rivet tails (throw away those nutplates) to avoid damaging the holes in the spar.

Yes they are....strange that it calls for K1100 plates....just don't know if there's something down the road that's going to cause issues.

K-1100 nutplates are called out on teh spar flanges because if you follow the plans and install the nutplates first, so they can be used for centering the pilot of a countersink cutter while machine countersinking the screw hole locations, the cutter would cut into a K1000 nutplate slightly before it got to full depth of the countersink.

Ugh….just heard from Van's. They are going to send the correct nutplates so kudos for that, but I do have to drill all of them out. Bummer…

Reason is, the dimple of the tank skin may bottom out in a K1000 nutplate before the screw is tightened sufficiently.

So, I will repeat my caution. You really do not want to enlarge any holes in the spar. I would try grinding off the tails (sacrifice the nutplates) and then see if you can punch the rivets out, tail to head, to avoid any drilling in the spar.

So, I will repeat my caution. You really do not want to enlarge any holes in the spar. I would try grinding off the tails (sacrifice the nutplates) and then see if you can punch the rivets out, tail to head, to avoid any drilling in the spar.

I'll second that for good measure:)

Nutplates

Ugh?.just heard from Van's. They are going to send the correct nutplates so kudos for that, but I do have to drill all of them out. Bummer?

Reason is, the dimple of the tank skin may bottom out in a K1000 nutplate before the screw is tightened sufficiently.

I asked them the same question before installing the K1100s. Same answer.

I had a similar problem, and at the time I didn't know the difference between the two types of nutplates. I was lucky enough in that I hadn't installed any of them before I figured out what was wrong. Vans swapped the bag with me as they have suggested they will do with you.

Back