What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airspeed indication issues...

Ivan Kristensen

Well Known Member
On a recent trip back to Canada from Florida (Dec. 16, 2013) I experienced some pretty serious A/S (airspeed) indication fluctuations. In fact, when I landed at my home field CYKF Kitchener Ontario my A/S was reading zero and had done so through 4000' and below.

A little background. A couple of months ago before I left for Florida I had a similar thing happen to me when landing here at my home field just not as severe, some fluctuations below normal air speeds on short final. This worried me some but the next time I flew the airplane the A/S seemed to function normally so I ignored it.

While in Florida a couple of friends of mine and I flew a trip into the Islands. My buddy flew a couple of the legs and noted that he thought the A/S indication acted strange but only below about 80kts. showing about 10kts low and fluctuating some. This confirmed what I had seen also on recent legs.

Now fast forward to our trip home. At 12000Ft. over Western Pennsylvania I was right in the top of a cloud deck and picking up a trace of ice. I asked for and was approved by Cleveland center for a climb to 13thousand and spun the Alt selector on the A/P to this altitude.

This is where it get really interesting. The airplane immediately commenced the climb, as it should. The trouble is that it steepened the climb progressively to the point where it would have stalled had I not caught it and disconnected the A/P and manually lowered the nose. Keep in mind that in my GRT EFIS I set the climb to an A/S of 120kts for an enroute climb (100kts for a missed approach)

My flying buddy mentioned earlier was sitting in the right seat for this event. He and I debated this scenario for some time and concluded that it had to be a completely blocked Pitot tube or line somewhere between the wing root and the Pitot mast. Reason for this conclusion of the location of the blockage was that all three of the EFIS screens (two GRT and one Dynon all with independent AHRS) all read the same thing.

Now we all know that with a blocked Pitot the A/S indicator works as an altimeter. Right!!!! Now if that is true then that would explain the steep A/P climb from 12000 to 13000ft. In the climb the airspeed would increase, the A/P would continue to steepen the climb in search for 120kts. until stall occurred.

Again, if this theory is accurate then on the descent the airspeed would decrease and that is exactly what happen. At 4000ft the A/S read zero and stayed there until landing. I was very cold on that day, 15F aloft and 20F on landing.

A working heated Pitot mast was confirmed and switched on during the flight. What we found later after closer investigation was water in the Aluminum Pitot line between the Pitot mast and the root of the wing. some low volume compressed air applied at the wing root produced a fair bit of water at the Pitot inlet. This water had obviously frozen solid and trapped air-pressure inboard giving erroneous airspeed indications.

I have since test flown the airplane and all is working perfectly again. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Ivan,
What type/brand of pitot do you have. I read somewhere on this forum similar issues with a dynon pitot after flying in heavy rain, the following day in cold wx pitot froze up as I recall

Ivan,
What type/brand of pitot do you have. I read somewhere on this forum similar issues with a dynon pitot after flying in heavy rain, the following day in cold wx pitot froze up as I recall

Bill,
That is interesting, yes it is a Dynon! I hadn`t read the posts you mentioned.

I am not convinced this is due to any particular pitot. There is no air flow in the line (unless there are leaks!) so you are postulating that raindrops creep up hill; or, water vapor diffuses into the line, condenses when the temperature drops, accumulates in a low spot in the line and freezes. If that's what happens it's a function of the line, not the pitot.

Heated pitots are designed to stop ice accumulating in the orifice. They are not good at dealing with high volumes of water, even certified ones (that's what started the chain of events that brought down AF447).

Clearly in this case you applied your knowledge to work out what was happening and dealt with it accordingly - good job!

Check to confirm the drain on the pitot tube is not blocked. The purpose of the drain is to get rid of any water that comes in the pitot tube opening, to prevent the water from being pushed up the pitot line where it might freeze. The drain hole is small enough, and close enough to the front of the pitot tube, that the effect on the pitot pressure (and ASI accuracy) is negligible.

I am not convinced this is due to any particular pitot. There is no air flow in the line (unless there are leaks!) so you are postulating that raindrops creep up hill; or, water vapor diffuses into the line, condenses when the temperature drops, accumulates in a low spot in the line and freezes. If that's what happens it's a function of the line, not the pitot.

Bob,
I am inclined to be in agreement with you on this. I fly this airplane IFR almost everywhere I go and while I don't go looking for IMC conditions I regularly fly in it. I addition I often go high (10-14000') so I regularly expose the system to large swings in temperatures especially when I fly between my home in South Western Ontario and my place in Florida.

Ivan Kristensen

There is some airflow in the pitot line, due to the pressure changes as the airspeed changes. As the airspeed increases, the pitot pressure increases, compressing the air in the pitot line, and air must move from the pitot input into the line. As the airspeed decreases, the pitot pressure decreases, and the expansion pushes air back out of the pitot line.

The change in static pressure as the altitude changes also causes the absolute pressure in the pitot system to change. The pitot system is closed at the ASI end, so the changes in absolute pressure in the pitot system require air to move in and out of the system via the pitot tube, inducing flow in the system as the altitude or airspeed change.

Last edited:
Since this thread is primarily about our Heated AOA/Pitot Probe, I wanted to let you guys know that we have a big update on this issue, including a replacement program for any of you that currently have our Heated AOA/Pitot Probe. See this thread for more details.

Michael Schofield
Marketing Manager
Dynon Avionics

As I read your problem description I was thinking it sounded like a problem with your static line, not your pitto. Then I read the part about the autopilot climbing too steep, and that confirms the issue. I had the same symptom with my auto pilot an it turned out to be a pinched static line internal to the unit. Since you have three instruments affected then it is somewhere common to them.

I would suggest a pitot/static check with a the proper test equipment.

Dynon Pitot

I would suggest a pitot/static check with a the proper test equipment.

To be IFR certified it is a requirement to have a Pitot/Static check performed by a certified shop using certified equipment, at least that is the case in Canada.

I have had two such checks done in the past 3 years and passed both of them.

Just yesterday Dynon announced a no cost replacement of their affected Pitot masts addressing this very problem so hopefully this will correct this issue. See previous post by Dynon.

To be IFR certified it is a requirement to have a Pitot/Static check performed by a certified shop using certified equipment, at least that is the case in Canada.

I have had two such checks done in the past 3 years and passed both of them.

Just yesterday Dynon announced a no cost replacement of their affected Pitot masts addressing this very problem so hopefully this will correct this issue. See previous post by Dynon.

Not sure about in CA but in the US there is no requirement to check the pitot system when doing a "pitot-static" (CFR 91.411) check. The "pitot" part of the check is really a misnomer, no where in the regs is a pitot check required, it is required as a by-product of doing a static leak check on a pressurized aircraft, hence why the check was typically called a "pitot-static check".

Not sure about in CA but in the US there is no requirement to check the pitot system when doing a "pitot-static" (CFR 91.411) check. The "pitot" part of the check is really a misnomer, no where in the regs is a pitot check required, it is required as a by-product of doing a static leak check on a pressurized aircraft, hence why the check was typically called a "pitot-static check".

Just had mine done in July and the tech did test the pitot. I am sure there was an "up charge" for that. :mad: I was just happy to find an avionics shop on the field and willing to do it.

clean is good

Don't see much about routine maintenance of these systems mentioned.
Since most of the plumbing internals are not visible to us.... and the pointy end is facing the wilderness, how about compressed air now and then?
While making sure you are not going to blast a sensitive component... set up a schedule to blow out the tubing. Bugs, dirt, moisture, lint, aircraft cleaners or wax.... who knows what is in there.
We get colonoscopy procedures to ward off the unseen and unpleasant, don't we?
So, I suggest a thorough "venting" of the pitot/static plumbing to be quite sure nothing foreign is between the pure driven air... and the pressure sensor that allows us nice landings and nice entry into aerobatic ballet now and then.
Have a great weekend RVer's.

Back