What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 fuel tank

EVR RV6

I'm New Here
Would any one have a ball park figure what it would cost to buy all the parts and make a new fuel tank for an RV6?
thanks EV

Would any one have a ball park figure what it would cost to buy all the parts and make a new fuel tank for an RV6?
thanks EV

Relatively speaking, not expensive. There are half a dozen (or so) ribs, some angle that gets cut into stiffeners, a rear baffle, a fuel drain, a fuel cap, some aluminum tubing, a chunk of heavy angle, and a couple of fittings.

I'd guess $250 plus a pint of proseal and whatever shop supplies you'd need. Worst case, shouldn't be over $500.

For an RV7a

Not exactly the same, but I just built 2 new tanks for my RV7a for a total material cost of $793.20.

I'd be surprised if the factory couldn't tell you the parts cost in a few seconds over the phone.

RV-6 tanks

Just build a pair, just over $500 each, depends on options, new locking caps? new fuel senders?, pickup tubes?, fittings?, do you need to buy rivets? sealed pull rivets for the rear baffle? Can you use parts from your old tanks? I changed all of the hardware except for the fuel senders, they checked out fine, I don't rely on them anyway. I'm liberal with Proseal, but no leaks. Plus depending on your experience 25 to 40 hours of labor.

Have fun!! :)

PS the factory does not have a list of parts for a fuel tank, you need to provide all the part numbers.

Last edited:
fuel tank build

Anyone know who might be available for hire to build a tank, or repair an old one? My friend bought a -6A that is leaking pretty bad. Thanks.

Back