What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

where to hang headsets?

david.perl

Well Known Member
First flight was a couple of weeks ago. Test flying all completed so now waiting for UK authorities to issue a permit to fly. Till then, no flying without my test pilot in the L seat.

Only issue we had was a slightly high tickover. Everything else worked as planned.

Im now trying to get more organised in the cockpit. One thing im curious about is where do people hang their headsets when there ingressing and egressing the cockpit? Space seems tight. I have a 7A tip up

Thxs

The old factory -6 had a small bracket attached to one of the aluminum angles in the footwell. On my-6, I generally pass my headsets behind my head and put them in the passenger's seat. That's great for when I'm solo, not so great otherwise.

I attached L shape brackets down in the footwell area for both Lighspeeds in our RV. Close enough to reach without much bending, but under the panel. Ce ntered so I don't kick them to the floor when sliding in. That was after breaking a pair by trying to keep them over the top of the back seat.

I copied what Van's had in their demo aircraft. Works perfect.
IMG_5722-M.jpg

I hang mine in the footwell too, in the same place, but I simply used a #3 nutplate and an AN-3 bolt.
I kinda cheated since I have a stock of -DD aluminum bolts. Plenty strong enough for the application.

Headset Hanger

The aviation isle at your big box store has a sticky back rob hook for the back of the bathroom door. It works well with no sharp corners to mess up you head set. I have had mine in my 8 for 5 years still works well. I put it just above the switch panel on the right side.

The aviation isle at your big box store has a sticky back rob hook for the back of the bathroom door. It works well with no sharp corners to mess up you head set. I have had mine in my 8 for 5 years still works well. I put it just above the switch panel on the right side.

Got a photo?

headsets

I have a 2" wide 12" long piece of canvas fastened in the foot well in about the same place as the metal hangar I saw in one of the earlier picture. It has velcro sewn onto opposite sides at the ends.

My headset hangs in the loop formed by mating the velcro.

I can reach down with one hand to undo the cloth loop made by mating the velcro. I have done this on 6A and 10.

Unlike the metal hangar the cloth falls out of the way when not in use.

David- I also have a tip-up, and went this route. Hooks from local hardware store. Keeps headsets and wires out of the seat area. When loading/unloading baggage, I just set headsets on seats. Works good, lasts long time.:)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I would avoid any metal protrusion that isn't absolutely necessary. Sooner or later it will bite you. I like the Velcro strap idea.

I used some wide Velcro with "loop" one side and "hook" on the other. Hopefully you get the idea from the pictures. The softer "loop" is against the headset with enough of the "hook" wrapped around a mounting bracket to give something to attach to.

Sometime back someone suggested using a baggage door catch from a RV camper. A quick search of Amazon pulled these up. A set of two was $7.87.
20hawjc.jpg

I have the Classic Aero molded interior. The forward section, that goes by your knee has aluminum backing, so I thought a couple of rivets would hold them in place. Only I had to use #6 Tinnerman washers so the #30 rivets wouldn't pull through the preexisting holes in the door catch.

I wouldn't fly with them hanging on there as they are not "secured" but for keeping them off the floor while parked they seem perfect.
They are spring loaded, so they close up when not in use.
15nlxna.jpg

14w6rdh.jpg

Last edited:
I?ve got the small j brackets in my six and love them . Perfect place in the footwell for the headsets can easily be reached even when belted and out of the way. Don?t even interfere if you leave on hanging while flying.

Back