What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ipad in the cockpit or on the panel

donwmack

I have an old Ipad Mini. I am thinking of upgrading to full-size IPAD. The mini is cumbersome enough to hold on my knee. Has anyone installed either a full size or mini in the panel? Would you do it again? Is glare a problem? Do you have any pictures you can share?

Don, I have a Mini 4 mounted on a RAM mount to the left side of the panel on an angle. It faces me directly and I have no problem with glare or screen brightness. I love it there and would do it again. No picture at this time but I could email one. Send me an email request for a picture.

Bevan

ram

ram mounts with the ball screwed to the panel so it can be adjusted for glare. Works like a champ, would not change a thing. I believe airgizmo makes some mounts that go in panel and ipad snaps in. That would not be ideal for me as the glare needs adjustment and there are times on long cross countries i like to pop it out and have in on my lap for a few minutes.

My plane has ball on the pilot side weldment for a ram mount. I used it a few times but now I have an Airgizmo panel mount for my 696 and I no longer carry a tablet.

That mount position was good, but I have rather long legs. YMMV.

Last edited:
I have my iPad mini mounted to the stick with a ram mount. Works perfectly and doesn’t block anything. I’ll get a picture next time out.

Update found a picture without the iPad in it.

4u802a.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning a panel incorporating a mounted iPad mini. I have been using iPads (mini and 9.7" full size) as EFBs since they first came out. I have had them "loose" and yoke mounted and found them perfectly useable.
Recently I been flying an airplane with an iPad panel mount. Glad I had the opportunity, I found out I hate it that way. I found it frustratingly unstable to operate, nothing like my previous experience. Rarely did my first touch give me what I intended. The amount of time it took away from my piloting was inordinate. I suspect the major factor in my lack of satisfactory operation is the vertical mounting position of the unit.

I have used many other touch screen avionics systems. I'm not sure who thought a touch screen interface was a good idea in a moving vehicle, but unless the ride was smooth as glass, using them is a major time-sink, far more than I deem acceptable for safe, aircraft operation.

This is just one mans opinion. YMMV.

George

side picture

Hey Anthony "Planecrazy232" Can you post a side picture of your stick installation? And do you have an issue with glare at that angle?

Ipad position

I keep my ipad attached to the bar on the dash with a ram mount. I currently have the full-sized iPad, which works great with visibility other than blocking part out my fuel pressure gauge. I can still see the gauge, just have to move my head around a little bit. In my opinion, it would work much better with a mini ipad for my set up. I have an anti-glare shield on the screen and have zero issues with being able to see the screen.

Back