What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Window Installation

Lizard Lips

Now for a stupid question: Sect. 38, Page 38-04, Step 7 suggests using Fuel Tank sealant around the edges of the glass. This is all well and good, except I have a QB kit and the fuel tanks have already been sealed and tested at Van's facilities in the Philippines. As a result, I have no tank sealant material. I can get some, but it will take several days for it to arrive from Van's. Is there an alternative sealant, available possibly at Home Depot, Lowe's or Wally World :p that would do just as well to seal the window to the frame?

Joe Reaves
Longview, Texas

RV-14 Empennage complete, fuselage 75% complete, engine ships next week
Arion Lightning - Flying
2019 Dues paid

You will need some for other parts of the build so might as well get some. I would suggest leaving the rear window out until the end of the build. You will need to get into that area and having the window out sure makes it easier. I?m two months from flying and my window is still not in.

Good idea! That will free me up to do some other things around the fuse that I have been putting off. Thanks for the suggestion.

+1 to that. It would be a nightmare to install early.

Furthermore, the top front skin above the area between the FW and the sub panel should not be put in until the end. If that is in place before avionics, you will not be happy.

+1 to that. It would be a nightmare to install early.

Furthermore, the top front skin above the area between the FW and the sub panel should not be put in until the end. If that is in place before avionics, you will not be happy.

Since he has a quickbuild, that is already installed.

I riveted my front top skin in the 'central rivet zone' area before realizing that I should wait to do the two outboard sections until after the panel is fully installed and wired. At this point, I can lift the "wings" and wedge them carefully (don't want to kink 'em!) with a roll of paper towels. That ought to give me sufficient access. In any case, that's as good as it's going to get at this point... :rolleyes:

Back