What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Front tire after 4 landings

jj13

So I've done my normal search thing but this time no luck. I think it's just a defective tire (this is the nose wheel tire on my 9A). I've only landed 4 times and I'm fairly sure they've been good landings. Thoughts on what caused this would be helpful.

33ytd74.jpg
[/IMG]

Tire issue

Last year I purchased a new nose wheel from Van's for my 7a that had a flaw in the rubber. It looked a lot like the one in your picture. Vans sent me a new one to replace it. Check the quality closely when your next tire arrives.

How old is it? I replaced my several years old mains shortly after my first flight because they developed splits all the way around the circumference in each of the grooves. Desser rep said they dont sit well over long periods of time and to keep them in plastic bags if they are not going to be used for a good while.

Thanks Don for the reply, I'll give Vans a call on Monday and order a new tire.

Mike, I purchase the tire about 18 months ago from Vans so it seems to be just a defective tire hopefully it's not me.

Alex,

It's just the standard Van's kit configuration, no modifications were made.

Pretty sure that was not the result of any landing technique...
Don't beat yourself up at ALL. Just get a new tire on there and have fun flying.

Tire

I would look very closely at the bearings and spacers At the very minimum I would have a spacer between the bearings .There is plenty of info on front wheel bearing problems on here.

So I've done my normal search thing but this time no luck. I think it's just a defective tire (this is the nose wheel tire on my 9A). I've only landed 4 times and I'm fairly sure they've been good landings. Thoughts on what caused this would be helpful.

33ytd74.jpg
[/IMG]

.... We see this very often with brand new tires. When we true the tires it sometimes exposes this very common manufacturing flaw (lap joint). Actually yours is not as bad as many we see, and it will be fine to go ahead and use it. We see this on the Aero Classic tires more often than all others. Thanks, Allan...:D

Last edited:
Thank you

I just wasn't sure at first if I caused this issue, in the past it was usually me and I wanted to make sure I didn't wreck another tire or worse. I called Vans today and without question they are sending me another tire, so GREAT customer service as always. I do have to say this was a fun plane to build and fly even more so then I had imagined. Even though I didn't post here I did get a lot from the people that did take the time to post, so thank you. I just would not have gotten here without this group and great friends I met along the way.

Regarding the wheel bearings (and other good stuff), please see this thread.

The notes about wheel bearings may not be related to your tire observation, but then again why chance it?

Back