What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFP class

kaweeka

Well Known Member
Is there anyone in Northern California (or close enough for a easy flight) that has taken Don's FI class at AFP who would be willing to help me with some troubleshooting? Don's given me a few ideas but some experience would seem to go a long way and I hate to keep bothering him.

I'm having difficulty establishing a correct idle mixture. Right now, my adjustment is all the way lean and I'm out of adjustment. The plugs I removed were pretty dark but maybe not carbon fouled. The plane starts well, runs smoothly and really doesn't appear to idle poorly at 700 RPM. When I lean to where the engine wants to die, I've got 400 RPM rise. That's much more than what I've been told of 25-50 RPM. He suggested testing the following:

Put the purge valve to the off position, turn on the boost pump put the mixture full rich and the throttle wide open. The fuel flow should be 2-4 GPH. (Mine read 1.4-1.6)

Put the throttle to idle the fuel flow should be around 1.2 GPH. (Mine read 0.2-0.3)

His response postulated the nozzles may not be letting air in to atomize the fuel. The shields got pressed down to the hex of the nozzle body as a result of using the wrong socket to remove or install the nozzle in the engine. (Checked and good)
Could be poor fuel distribution if you have a flow divider. (How does one check the flow divider for proper operation?)
Or the most common problem is poor ignition or incorrect ignition timing. (Running dual LSE. I'll go through the troubleshooting algorithm but it seems to run well)

I hate when my knowledge base hits a hard stop but it's an opportunity to learn.
Thanks in advance,
David

Back