VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-24-2019, 12:53 AM

Default RV-12 clock install

I've got a 12V electric clock that I'm thinking of installing in the RV-12's panel to replace a very nice but now deceased vintage 8-day mechanical clock. I'm sure it would be trivial task for many of you, but what's the best way to do it? The clock has a light, but I don't need that. Just need to know where the red and black wires should go without shorting out everything in that maze of pre-fabricated wiring that makes the RV-12 avionics installation so easy.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:52 AM

If your RV-12 has the original 5 amp power outlet inline fuse connected to the battery, then tap into that circuit with the clock's red wire. If not, install a new inline fuse holder to the battery positive terminal and use a 3 amp or smaller fuse. Of course the clock black wire connects to ground (earth).
The clock could eventually run the battery down if isn't recharged periodically.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:51 AM

If you don't want to run a wire all the way to the battery, consider this option. Pin 14 on the connector coming out of the back of the AV-50001 Switch & Fuse Module is a spare ... it has +12 volts on it but no internal fuse. That is connector ES-205208-1 on the wiring diagram. Note: Pin 14 is not always "hot" it is only hot when the master switch is on, so it would be necessary to reset the clock for each flight .... (but you won't drain the battery between flights).

All you need to do is crimp a pin on a wire and insert it into position 14 on the connector and you will pick up the +12 volts needed for your clock ... run that wire to an inline fuse for protection. I can't imagine the clock needing more than a 1 or 2 amp inline fuse.

I wanted power for a switchable left landing light and tapping into pin 14 on the Switch & Fuse Module worked out great.

Happy flying,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2019

Last edited by John-G : 04-24-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-24-2019, 09:17 AM

I just wear a watch. It doesn't run the plane battery down. It' doesn't get subjected to all the vibrations. It doesn't need to be wired up. Simplicity.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:04 AM

eBay has many working 8-day clocks. And a good watch repair shop can often fix them.

I'm putting one on my RV-3B.

Dave
Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 AM

All helpful replies

Joe: my RV-12 is the early Skyview version with the conversion harness, so it's possible. I will check. I planned to put a small switch under the panel to isolate the clock and prevent the battery drain.

John-G: I saw that unused pin on the wiring diagram and had the same idea. Thanks!

NinerBikes: can't argue with that of course, but that vintage clock looked great in the panel and was surprisingly useful. Now there's a hole there, and just blanking it off seems such a waste of a well engineered hole.

Dave: Yes there are, and that's the other option I'm still considering. The problem is they are old. Mine was refurbished, but the mainspring eventually broke from fatigue and replacement parts are hard to come by.

Thanks all. I think that pretty well covers all the options.

Last edited by rgmwa : 04-24-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:51 PM

You may have clearance issues with the pendulum under the dashboard though.....

Donated in 2018
Old 04-24-2019, 04:55 PM

i found an 8 day vintage clock with a timer function. way cool. hole is cut in panel waiting for it for my 12.just because there was one in my piper that i learned to fly in.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 04-24-2019, 06:10 PM

i'm showing my age.. i just had to google "what is an 8 day clock?".
Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
i'm showing my age.. i just had to google "what is an 8 day clock?".
... and I'm showing mine by knowing what it is and how to use it.