VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Dynon AoA Settings

How do I set the AoA tone to come on at the bottom of the yellow bars?
Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 PM

Default AOA Audio Setup

Go to SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > AUDIO SETUP to configure audio output settings. Most of the items in this menu control whether the audio output for a particular alert or alert category is played or not. The settings that can be adjusted here that are not voice alert toggles are:

o In this menu only, audio is only outputted from the actual display that is in the setup menu.

• ANGLE OF ATTACK – This sets a pulsing, progressive tone that increases in frequency, similar in nature to a conventional reed type aircraft stall warning sound to a reed-type stall warning sound, although it is much more predictable in its progression. It can be set to start its pulsing tones at either the border of the yellow/green marks on the AOA bars, the middle of the yellow, or the yellow/red border. The pulsing tones start at the level selected and get progressively quicker and closer together until a solid tone is played at critical AOA (in the red.)

o INHIBIT AOA BELOW AIRSPEED – Allows you to set an airspeed below which no AOA tones are played. This helps prevent nuisance alarms while on the ground and taxiing, especially in tail draggers.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 PM

Got it, thanks. I noticed the AoA setting was in % and did not read the the fine print below that defined % in terms of the bar color range.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 PM

Default Dynon AOA

Where is ONSPEED with Dynon AOA?

I calibrated my Dynon HDX AOA and expected to hear a steady tone around the ONSPEED speed which I thought would be around 70 kts with beeping tones before and after. Not happening and generating questions:

1) What is the approximate ONSPEED speed of a RV-7A?
2) Where on the AOA spectrum of green, yellow, red is ONSPEED?
3) Where on the AOA spectrum of green, yellow, red is stall?
4) How is it suppose to work?
5) Is AOA 's primary purpose to warn of stall?
6) Or is AOA's primary purpose to give you an audio tone at ONSPEED so you can fly it without looking down at the indicator?
7) Is AOA trying to get me to fly a speed? or a pitch?

thanks
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 PM

Default AOA

Never mind. I just found this thread. It is really good.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=148638
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 06-13-2019, 03:41 PM

Default HDX AOA settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdtofly View Post
Go to SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP > AUDIO SETUP to configure audio output settings. Most of the items in this menu control whether the audio output for a particular alert or alert category is played or not. The settings that can be adjusted here that are not voice alert toggles are:

o In this menu only, audio is only outputted from the actual display that is in the setup menu.

• ANGLE OF ATTACK – This sets a pulsing, progressive tone that increases in frequency, similar in nature to a conventional reed type aircraft stall warning sound to a reed-type stall warning sound, although it is much more predictable in its progression. It can be set to start its pulsing tones at either the border of the yellow/green marks on the AOA bars, the middle of the yellow, or the yellow/red border. The pulsing tones start at the level selected and get progressively quicker and closer together until a solid tone is played at critical AOA (in the red.)

o INHIBIT AOA BELOW AIRSPEED – Allows you to set an airspeed below which no AOA tones are played. This helps prevent nuisance alarms while on the ground and taxiing, especially in tail draggers.
Fine but what percentages do you set in order to get the AOA tones using Dynon HDX to come on in yellow thru red? I'm hearing tones only at about stall speed 50 kts in RV-7A.
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 06-14-2019, 07:45 AM

I set mine at the widest range possible and was still not happy with the onset of tones. While working with VAC, I re-did the calibration and set it at 3 knots above actual stall speed. It now works as I expect and with the beeps starting around 55 knots dirty. Many others have done the same.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 06-14-2019, 11:17 AM

Default Dynon AOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymo View Post
I set mine at the widest range possible and was still not happy with the onset of tones. While working with VAC, I re-did the calibration and set it at 3 knots above actual stall speed. It now works as I expect and with the beeps starting around 55 knots dirty. Many others have done the same.
Ray
Thanks for the update and call. So I see, in summary Dynon AOA warns of impending stall, but doesn't do ONSPEED. Okay. thanks I will recalibrate slightly above stall. thanks much
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 06-15-2019, 04:15 AM

Mine starts beeping just before 1.3Vs. So when you hear the first beep it is about the same as ONSPEED.

Besides the Skyview menu you can also change values in the USER_CONFIG.dfg file. Look for "aoa" and change values, e.g.;

audio_aoa_vol=70
audio_aoa_ias_min=10.2889
audio_sound_aoa_v15=1
audio_sound_aoa_start_thld=62
audio_sound_aoa_solid_thld=95

ONSPEED is at 60% lift. With my config the beep starts at 62%

MyKitlog
Picasa pictures
Old 06-15-2019, 07:13 AM

You guys must be flying business jets…

My early S/N 12 has D-180 with stall warning. I pull two notches of flap, set min power, and trim stabilator for hands-off (literally) glide slope at 60 knots. I bleed speed down to 55 over the fence and remain in ground effect until almost a full-stall landing with just a peep from the stall warning.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 490

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H