VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-30-2019, 07:35 PM

Default $5,000 estimate

When I had my annual done on my SLSA RV12 this winter the Rotax certified mechanic told me to expect a $5,000 charge next time for the mandatory rubber hose change. The hoses look like new, the plane has less than 300 hours. I am considering having the plane recertified to ELSA, where I would have more latitude about what repairs and replacements are made. I thought the factory built RV12 would have reasonable maintenance costs but the last annual, with stabilator and trim tab upgrades, ran $1,700.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 PM

Ted,

For 5 grand you could go to the three week repairman course, do the replacement yourself and have enough left to cover happy hour every night after class!

Rich
Old 05-02-2019, 02:36 PM

Orrr.... find a Light-Sport Repairman (not an A&P) to do the work. I'd imagine it'd have to be cheaper..

I would probably advise against re-certifying in E-LSA.. You'd lose some value in the plane... how much, I dunno.. depends on what the demand is for S-LSA (the additional demand from flight schools, CFIs and other commercial operators?).
Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 PM

Default $5,000 estimate

I know I may lose some value in the plane if I recertify, I will think about the three week course. Thanks.

Last edited by Ted Christopher : 05-02-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Please don't re-certify, the SLSAs are hard to come by. Why not sell it to me and get a nice ELSA built by an A&P?