What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 skin and rear spar Lengths

Ender

I'm redoing my priming booth and want to make sure it's long enough for the longest pieces in the kit that I have to prime.

Right now I think that would be:
-HStab Spar (I have)
-Rear Wing Spar/s
-Wing Skin/s

Could someone with the wing kit do some quick measurements for me?

Thanks!

The spar does not require priming. If your booth is big enough for your HS spar that should be big enough for every other unprimed part.

The front spar is pre-assembled, clear anodized and does not require any priming. However, the rear spar is just a bent sheet of 0.040 in. 2024-T3 aluminum.

I'm not working on the wings yet, but I did scale the wing dimension from three view drawing and measured the root to start of the fiberglass wingtip to be about 10.2 ft. The HS spars are 9.5 ft. each.

When I built my spray booth I made it 15 ft x 6 ft x 6 ft. Details are in my construction log.

The spar does not require priming. If your booth is big enough for your HS spar that should be big enough for every other unprimed part.

Agreed on the first point. My question pertains to the "rear" spar that is just un-anodized AL.

The front spar is pre-assembled, clear anodized and does not require any priming. However, the rear spar is just a bent sheet of 0.040 in. 2024-T3 aluminum.

I'm not working on the wings yet, but I did scale the wing dimension from three view drawing and measured the root to start of the fiberglass wingtip to be about 10.2 ft. The HS spars are 9.5 ft. each.

When I built my spray booth I made it 15 ft x 6 ft x 6 ft. Details are in my construction log.

Thanks for the info, I did a similar thing trying to figure it out. I'm doing long and skinny as well, but I can't quite fit 15 ft.

Thanks!

Agreed on the first point. My question pertains to the "rear" spar that is just un-anodized AL.

Ender, sorry about that. I'm about a year into the wing kit and long ago primed the rear spar. My paint booth is about 10'x10' and so far I have not had any issues with a part being too big to spray. At the very worst I've had to reposition a part or two for complete coverage while spraying, but that was no big deal.

Ender, sorry about that. I'm about a year into the wing kit and long ago primed the rear spar. My paint booth is about 10'x10' and so far I have not had any issues with a part being too big to spray. At the very worst I've had to reposition a part or two for complete coverage while spraying, but that was no big deal.

THANKS for the info!

Have you had any issues with wet paint making it's way out of your fans and onto your neighbors car/house etc? I live in suburba-**** and don't want to **** anyone off. The vapors seem to dissipate on my current setup quickly, but it wasn't venting during painting.

Nice booth by the way.

Back