What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How fast can you stop smoking?

BillC

Well Known Member
For those of you who are smokers, how long after you turn off the pump does it take for the smoke stop?
I have a situation where one pipe keeps smoking for several seconds after the pump is turned off. I thought it might be because I didn't have the check valve installed but, even after installing it, I continue to make smoke for some time after the pump is turned off. Is this the norm or do I need to dig deeper?

--Thanks in advance--

Bill

Remember all the discussion about the crankcase oil separators and hooking them up to the exhaust----so the exhaust can create a vacuum and pull the fumes out????

Depending on how your smoke injector is installed, you may be seeing the same thing happening.

Do you have a solenoid valve or are you just switching the pump on and off??

I have the Smoking Airplanes system. The smoke outside the plane coming out of the pipes quits pretty quickly after turning off the switch... maybe a second or two at the most.

The smoke that comes inside the airplane with me lingers much longer than I'd really like :p

If you want the smoke to stop instantly, install a check valve as close to the injector as you can get. There's considerable oil between the injector and check valve in a SA system.

https://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo/Smoke?authkey=Gv1sRgCMXHwNL-__v2nQE#5464550195064954386
[/url]

Tony

How does that fare under prolonged heat from the exhaust and/or engine compartment?

Initially installed the checkvalve that came with the SA kit just forward of the firewall, and that failed (due to heat). Had to move it inside the cockpit.

I see this check valve has a fluoroelastomer seal...wonder how it will survive FF.

You need a solenoid...

We have had the same issue and the check valve is not sufficient to stem the flow once the pump is turned off as the pump loses pressure relatively slowly and the check valve does not close until the pressure is quite low. A solenoid is the only sure way to make the cut-off crisp. The line(s) from the solenoid to the injector should be as short as possible. Six inches of #4 is plenty of line.

Here's a solenoid that will work. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Thanks Everyone.
Looks like I will be looking into an additional valve or two to be placed closer to injectors.

Bill

Back