What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control cable seals

jdeas

Well Known Member
This control cable is less than two years old and I have only been flying 30 hrs! Has anyone else seen this with Van's cables? I know LA smog is hard on rubber but :eek:

This is the worst one but all three cables have cracked boots.

DITTO

Mine are the same after 60+ hours, apparently they are neither heat nor oil resistant!
Zip tied mine on for a while, then it just disinterieted, dissingretated, dissgrint....
fell off!
Pushrod seems to still work....I suppose it may wipe some of the grime off the rod.

Do you know what make of cable it is ???

They are ACS. Replacement seals are available from Spruce. Common problem. I covered mine with some firesleeve.

I'll post part numbers when I get home.

EDIT*** The big one in the OPs picture is part #05-02633. The smaller one closer to the end of the cable at the left is # 05-02634.
Like the fellows below said, the new ones are blue. *****

Last edited:
Just got a set of replacements from ACS. The new ones are blue and appear more substantial than the black from Van's. I think a couple of the black ones tore during installation. Away from home, otherwise would give the part numbers.

I had the same problem and purchased replacements from ACS. I have found that rubbing DC#4 (same stuff recommended for application to your oil filter rubber seal) into the seals during my annual condition inspections has works well in prolonging the problem seals' life. Have about 4 years on current set. Also use same stuff on elevator trim cable seal.

YMMV
Bill

They are ACS. Replacement seals are available from Spruce. Common problem. I covered mine with some firesleeve.

I'll post part numbers when I get home.

EDIT*** The big one in the OPs picture is part #05-02633. The smaller one closer to the end of the cable at the left is # 05-02634.
Like the fellows below said, the new ones are blue. *****

Thanks! new seals ordered!

Back