What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FlightBox not talking to my iPad

KNicholas2

I'm New Here
I built the FlightBox system from Open Flight Solutions to use with ForeFlight.

Pretty cool stuff.

However, the data and GPS do not show up on either one of my iPads. It DOES however work on my iPhone. Each device shows that it is reading the signal from the FlightBox, and ForeFlight sees the FlightBox - it just will not display it.

Because it DOES work on my iPhone, it suggests that there is a setting somewhere in the iPad - but where and what??

I tried to contact the Open Flight Solutions folks but they are understandably busy at Oshkosh.

Any advice is appreciated.

Kim Nicholas
RV9A
S50

Well, I do not know for a fact. But I see on their web page that Open Systems does not guarantee connectability with ForeFlight (they say 'others have made it work'). Traditionally FF has been a 'closed' system, e.g., they do not share their software except with select vendors, like Stratus. You may need to find out how these others got into FF's system.

Are you sure the GPS is turned on in Flightbox? There's a switch to turn it on and off in the main software interface. Type http://192.168.10.1/ in your browser's address bar when connected to the Flightbox WiFi network and you should go to a status screen. The menu should have a GPS option.

It could be you are seeing a location on the iPhone but not on a WiFi iPad because the iPhone is using its internal GPS to find the location, whereas the WiFi iPad does not have a GPS at all.

I have Flightbox and it works with ForeFlight on my iPad Air 2. However, my iPad is cellular, so I am not sure if it is using its own GPS or the one in FlightBox.

Back