What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Sender Floats

Douglas

I'm New Here
I am about to close the access panel and install the fuel sender unit, but I am not sure if the fuel sender and float are supposed to rotate. I have bent and cut the metal rod that attaches the float to the sender unit correctly and attached it. I noticed will test fitting that the float and metal rod will swing around easily. Is it supposed to do that? Is there not a chance of it hanging up in a barrel roll or unusual attitude?

sender

Doug , I believe that they will swing around if you do not snap the rod into the plastic piece. Once you do they should be locked into the position that you snapped or locked them into that plastic thing-a-majig.
I could be wrong but I had to replace mine a moth ago and noticed this same thing.

Doug,

I saw this once while looking at an RV-8 project. The builder misinterpreted how to bend the rod and did not put the 90 degree bend at the end that goes through the plastic holder. He only had the rod in the plastic clips. The end that goes through the plastic is what prevents rotation.

Carl

Got it! I read the instruction sheet a couple of times and looked over the Van plans. Found my problem. The Van plans call for 3 inches, 90 degree bend and then 3 inches, but no mention of the small bend on the end. When I was reading the instructions supplied with the sender unit, when they mentioned a 90 degree bend, I thought they were referring to same bend as Vans. Plus the diagram that came with the sending unit is difficult to follow. But, now making it fit based on what you have told me it makes sense. Too bad I have cut the rods 3 inch X 3 inch, I don't have enough length to make the small bend on the end. I know who I am calling tomorrow morning. "I would like to order two rods please." Thanks again for the input, hope this helps others in the future, hopefully before they bend and cut.

Back