What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Climb Performance

David-aviator

Well Known Member
There are planned flight tests to prove a point and there are unplanned every day events that do the same.

Flew out for lunch today. Two other airplanes did same, we met at Jeff City MO for usual fine local fried chicken, really tastes good now and then. (bad as it is for heart and all)

On return trip to St Louis, generally agreed to fly at 7500', would put us on top of most scattered clouds.

The Lancair IO390 with CS prop took off first. Then about 2 minutes later the RV-10 took off, it had a CS prop with Lycoming 6 cylinder

Took off last in RV-8, 180 HP, FP Catto. Usual 2150 rpm static but it gets off ok. Climb speed 120 KIAS, prop is up to 2350, WOT.

Reported level at 7500' on 122.75.

Much to my surprise, both airplanes ahead were still climbing. I beat them to 7500' taking off after they did!

Conclusion, the Catto is very ok considering its cost and simplicity. I am having serious thoughts about spending money, adding weight for CS, just to have better take off performance.

The event today proved a simple light weight airplane (1029lbs) is not an embarrassment in performance. It can hold its own in every day operations.

With a dynamic balance, sometimes feels like a turbine. The airplane is so satisfying to fly, why mess with it? (...keep asking myself...)

Last edited:
Took off last in RV-8, 180 HP, FP Catto. Usual 2150 rpm static but it gets off ok. Climb speed 120 KIAS, prop is up to 2350, WOT.

The event today proved a simple light weight airplane (1029lbs) is not an embarrassment in performance. It can hold its own in every day operations.

With a dynamic balance, sometimes feels like a turbine. The airplane is so satisfying to fly, why mess with it? (...keep asking myself...)

About the same conclusion I have with my FP Sensenich although my static is the same as yours, my climb RPM is closer to 2450 at 120 kts. Would like to go to a lighter prop to get eliminate the 25lbs I lug around in the aft baggage compartment. Waiting for a report from one of our members on his new Sensenich GA prop.

I have a 1028 lb RV-8 with a 2 blade Catto ...and a 160 HP IO-320:eek: and still mange to keep up with the crowd. Admittingly, if I am at near GW on a 90 deg day, the 180 HP CS folks will easily out climb me. I do enjoy the handling qualities of a lightweight, well balanced RV-8:D

Yep you got it.

We see the same thing. We have a Prince two blade "P" tip that has been pitched to give us the 2300 + or - 50 that the books recommend. This poor little RV only weighing 1,008 Lbs. has run down a couple of 7's with big engines and C.S. props. I found it to be a little bit of fun to let them take off get a mile or so out then chaise them down in a flat out clime to 4-5 thousand. Grate little airplanes if you keep them simple and light. It is amazing what you can save in weight and money and still have a very well preforming RV.
Lets keep up the good ideas. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Back