What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wrapping project

sahrens

Well Known Member
Well, not only am I nuts for polishing my aircraft, I also am using vinyl as well. So I started with the easiest component I could find, the oil door. It took about an hour to explore how much the vinyl would stretch / shrink..it will also tear.

All in all it was fairly easy to work with once I got started.

hrzs5t.jpg
[/IMG]

More images and comments at:

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/category.php?user=sdahrens&project=248&category=12700

The next component is the empennage fairing.

?The next component is the empennage fairing?
One of the hardest (in my experience) with compound concave curves.

“The next component is the empennage fairing”

That is part of the reason I picked it to be next. All part of the learning process. I did spend quite a while developing a plan to wrap it. Start on this edge, make sure this is down first, worry about the bottom edge last...."of mice and men" we shall see how it works out.

Bruce did you use any edge sealer on your edges? If so, which edges and why those edges? I thinking of using it on the edges on the cowling and around the fuel ports.

Last edited:
Extra vinyl

To All interested in doing vinyl:
I?ve got tons of end roll pieces and vinyl pieces. 40yrs in the sign business you collect a lot that somewhere you might use it. For those wanting to try putting vinyl on, I?ll send you all the
end pieces you want. Some are up to 48? wide but may only be a foot or two in length. The is lots of 2-6? stuff. Many different colors. Most all we use is 3M 2mil high performance, so you can?t get better quality. You?ll need to get a small roll of transfer tape and a squeegee in order to apply it. There is a myriad of other installation tools you can purchase if you want to go down that road. I?m happy to unload what I have this year for whoever wants to try it, just need you to pay the freight or mail if it?s small enough to go in postal
As for me and 40 yrs of it- there?s a place and time for it, not sure I?d do fairings or a complete yet. Then again if I was racing in Reno and wanted a printed design, I?d be all over it. I?m just
sticking to good paint and maybe nose, tail art and N numbers in vinyl.
Just need a good address to send to.
Mike

That is part of the reason I picked it to be next. All part of the learning process. I did spend quite a while developing a plan to wrap it. Start on this edge, make sure this is down first, worry about the bottom edge last...."of mice and men" we shall see how it works out.

Bruce did you use any edge sealer on your edges? If so, which edges and why those edges? I thinking of using it on the edges on the cowling and around the fuel ports.

I did use edge sealer on seams along leading edges of wings and wheel pants. Why, wind impact wears the seam. Best though to avoid seams altogether there. More useful for the concave curves is the primer. Paint that to the concave surface of the fairing, but then concider it like contact cement.
FWIW I painted the cowling....good luck.

To All interested in doing vinyl:
I?ve got tons of end roll pieces and vinyl pieces. 40yrs in the sign business you collect a lot that somewhere you might use it. For those wanting to try putting vinyl on, I?ll send you all the
end pieces you want. Some are up to 48? wide but may only be a foot or two in length. The is lots of 2-6? stuff. Many different colors. Most all we use is 3M 2mil high performance, so you can?t get better quality. You?ll need to get a small roll of transfer tape and a squeegee in order to apply it. There is a myriad of other installation tools you can purchase if you want to go down that road. I?m happy to unload what I have this year for whoever wants to try it, just need you to pay the freight or mail if it?s small enough to go in postal
As for me and 40 yrs of it- there?s a place and time for it, not sure I?d do fairings or a complete yet. Then again if I was racing in Reno and wanted a printed design, I?d be all over it. I?m just
sticking to good paint and maybe nose, tail art and N numbers in vinyl.
Just need a good address to send to.
Mike

I did use the end roll piece approach to vinyl wrapping and had my kids cut them before applying (nice family project ...):

patches.jpg

my EAA chapter calls me now patches.... .

In terms of learnings:

- I did learn that it's more difficult to wrap many small pieces of vinyl around a compound curve then one large pieces. ( see by the wrinkles in the picture ). There is just nothing to hold on to on small pieces to stretch the vinyl.

- I have been flying with that cowling now for 2 years and I do think that I have to replace the vinyl. The problem is that on the top of the cowling the vinyl looks good when cold but when hot (after flying on a hot day) I get lots of air bubbles which disappear again when cold. This constant expansion/contraction can't be good for the vinyl.

My problem of course is that I like the design now and painting all those patches is a lot of work ... .

Oliver

Creative

Oliver,
I?m going to have to print that one for the girls here! They?ve always wondered what to do with all the scrap vinyl. They usually make a vinyl snowman, but he gets tossed before he gets too big.
The vinyl that didn?t bond in pockets that come and go are always there, they just tighten up. Bad part is they will hold moisture. Moisture trapped between the vinyl and cowl isn?t a problem, but I don?t trust it on my aluminum. Even N numbers and decals get checked often for delamination pockets.
You should get 5-10 yrs life on 3m vinyl depending on how much sun and weather it gets.
Mike

?The next component is the empennage fairing?

Well Bruce I took your advice. After finishing the oil door I was going to wrap the empennage fairing but I decided to have a go at the upper cowling. Moving to a much larger peice of vinyl was a little more difficult than I had imagined. The backing material that is removed is fairly thick and does not want to bend. I was hesistant to remove all the backing for fear the vinyl would stick to itself. It did anyway and much like duck tape, it really sticks. There is a happy place in there somewhere where just enough backing is removed to allow applying the vinyl and removing too much.

All that said about 1/3 of the way into this I knew it was going to get pulled off. The material is relatively strong, it will stretch and it will shrink. It will also tear, especially when heated or over stretched. Long story short I had some small pock marks of damage that I wasn't satisfied leaving on the aircraft. Once that decision was made I just made this a learning project working on technique, how much heat was too much and how to work compound curves.

rmmzy8.jpg
[/IMG]

4lt1f9.jpg
[/IMG]

You can see I pushed the material too hard. This was after deciding to replace the material.

More at http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=sdahrens&project=248&category=0&log=251985&row=2

Putting the vinyl reminds me of the first time (2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc) I used Grace Ice Shield on a roof. It turns into an expensive lesson.

I like the idea of stripes or other graphics over a base paint. I have my plane painted but not really satisfied how it came out. I would sure like to watch and try doing the vinyl. Its use has grown so much in a short time it has to have merit.

Thanks for sharing OP. Keep up with the info as it progresses. I too want to do vinyl wrap when mine get to that point. Just debating if I want to try to tackle it myself or hire a Pro. So I am following your progress.

Thanks for sharing OP. Keep up with the info as it progresses. I too want to do vinyl wrap when mine get to that point. Just debating if I want to try to tackle it myself or hire a Pro. So I am following your progress.

I will be out of town for a few days and then hope to get some test flights done, weather permitting. It might be awhile for the next update, but I will post as progress gets made.

I too decided to wrap rather than paint. Also using the 3M 1080 film. There are a few tricks to learn like when to use heat and when to not along with where to start applying the film when it comes to complex shapes. Overall it's pretty easy and if I don't like it simply peel it off.

Here are a few pictures of my wingtips and ailerons.

1z1v1a1.jpg

140mfdx.jpg

Jason,
What prep did you do on the wing tips before wrapping? Could you jot down some tips you may have that you learned while wrapping the tips and ailerons?
Thanks,
Dave

Jason,
What prep did you do on the wing tips before wrapping? Could you jot down some tips you may have that you learned while wrapping the tips and ailerons?
Thanks,
Dave

Make sure the surface is VERY clean. I used 90% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle and lint free micro-cloths.

Wrapping the tips was done in two pieces. The seem is just on the bottom side of the tips. Use knife-less tape to make an even overlap. Overlaps should be at least 3/8" and follow the airflow.

Wrapping the ailerons and flaps were done with one piece of film. The seem is hidden along the leading edge just behind the rear wing spar.

You might get creases in the film and if that happens pull it off the surface and use a little heat. It's almost like magic the way it disappears. One fun thing to do is take a scrap piece, say 8" x 8", pull the backing off and crumple it up into a ball. Now pull it back flat and apply a little heat. It's like new.

Hope this helps as a start.

I'm strongly considering a large vinyl accent graphic in addition to two painted primary colors (white and black).

How easily does the stuff come off if I want to repair or change colors?

I did use the end roll piece approach to vinyl wrapping and had my kids cut them before applying (nice family project ...):

patches.jpg

my EAA chapter calls me now patches.... .

In terms of learnings:

- I did learn that it's more difficult to wrap many small pieces of vinyl around a compound curve then one large pieces. ( see by the wrinkles in the picture ). There is just nothing to hold on to on small pieces to stretch the vinyl.

- I have been flying with that cowling now for 2 years and I do think that I have to replace the vinyl. The problem is that on the top of the cowling the vinyl looks good when cold but when hot (after flying on a hot day) I get lots of air bubbles which disappear again when cold. This constant expansion/contraction can't be good for the vinyl.

My problem of course is that I like the design now and painting all those patches is a lot of work ... .

Oliver

Wait a minute... the Partridge Family built an RV? :D
NOTE: Old guys will get it. Youngin's will have to google it (the bus specifically) LOL

Here is my vinyl project, only things painted are the wing root fairings. The wheel pants are an experiment using scraps, I will redo them at a later date but at ten yards you can?t see the seams. Very happy with vinyl.

Well Bruce I took your advice. After finishing the oil door I was going to wrap the empennage fairing but I decided to have a go at the upper cowling. Moving to a much larger peice of vinyl was a little more difficult than I had imagined. The backing material that is removed is fairly thick and does not want to bend. I was hesistant to remove all the backing for fear the vinyl would stick to itself. It did anyway and much like duck tape, it really sticks. There is a happy place in there somewhere where just enough backing is removed to allow applying the vinyl and removing too much.

All that said about 1/3 of the way into this I knew it was going to get pulled off. The material is relatively strong, it will stretch and it will shrink. It will also tear, especially when heated or over stretched. Long story short I had some small pock marks of damage that I wasn't satisfied leaving on the aircraft. Once that decision was made I just made this a learning project working on technique, how much heat was too much and how to work compound curves.

rmmzy8.jpg
[/IMG]

4lt1f9.jpg
[/IMG]

You can see I pushed the material too hard. This was after deciding to replace the material.

More at http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=sdahrens&project=248&category=0&log=251985&row=2

A little off topic, but...

These pictures remind me of many Monokote covering sessions on my R/C airplanes. I know several guys who don't like it, but I actually enjoy working with Monokote. Heat it and stretch it around compound curves and it'll lay flat and look just like paint. Great stuff if you take the time to learn how to work with it...just like the vinyls here.

Wrapping my RV-14A

I've been wrapping my RV-14A. Learned a lot in the process. Seams are your friend, especially on compound curves. There aesthetically acceptable if place wisely. I have a few areas I need to re-do (empennage fairing and top cowl) now that I've learned the importance of seams =)

GoznVy9Awdyh-SrUZsfM4L8xkEe9dazranem0QiuR1tZ4CT8E9JaAeHAJdzYllZNwUdQR1cv-eNMe6Cbdw_HADwXC0KjQUsSbBIMFWoiHdz3XpiMem4HtiTv33TbZurXqwOTg2UrUUXV6xqb8W-ghpugiCagpO_7shAsfFOCS4WSFpn-_Ss6Tvfa9XpTdzw6PDqO2zqRUxeY_zRAB7OxcD3MFDUZmd0kypobQc0CAdHAzi94qDXfCsu08baeOnHp_nWo434de0NJiDK_cEPa0vaW93JwaBdG-pM1hboxMZIQLwGZuGMUyHfJbLkc8toqpZEUC_PybA0sexC4BcR1wZaBpcZ9xaZi3ya57rORs8KpV7GI2e7hsVCLzFbBcylMO0eS8sM9cPC4KZhKb5ssumza7jC5T0H0Tg8TV8LZdSEPL6q6qlUeVuyWyAzug8NsX-0YVtLN1a8IIFcWc5xAo4cjO0-O9SAqQ-h6QC-e-es1YqNPXXhYUin254cQvY0GT8aUtkvxlCJ0kdBlmtsKa5rE2IXQtnpn7juZ3rYGjcTEXC7x70IZLnUrUkBb6Oc2RoEhmFfNZAZOKcK9T1AGwbC-DTeGZZwjCwsozAg=w1824-h1368-no

1ylWJtr3QF5m45H89ASNPm2-bfJ7JoiAVrKINetHTwoAbCC74PWb5RoUFYhCtJdupdAlqD3vVh2YVcJuMHfGgLdoaDogBVoe90BSHe5nGGSjFmXsnk8MRYsNxwdXDgrlVd78nZf2vwNKWb1aU2bC2tLaj0j2yzEV4qvGO6yjRNvnoI_rLh2IJpPXrNWmbN43mg_z7udn3vNQ9TJQC1ksOAF6HlBBMHqEzOoE7-SZkKPL10nP92IR6h0FCIcRNp7NRztmwctlGSPcoCccDAwaAzJmeDoKdSCTO3djNT_G38z2_K5u-RT3ny1chXgQ99KVirQIsQPZA2AbCm7rduwWFGcqLYZr-2RCnwyvt78AFyaAShALxGh1gufxh13vYG2ojsockveq6eXXyJM9qoQ8Z3cNtVrxKOmdsL7a8VHW2Kk8HWFW6RdotCxFt9mVsXqEg2OIzNdG-10-fx44kqSGnSszstEzDC5lMbx-pob9a9gXZ4pfB9fsiLEAwK30g5oN5F5r8h4RFY9drY2gwIwARCvAtO86OGx8F-U15dYUFMErylt2w6NIGv04wZt0yoX-q8Db5l-HYFvoirFh0cLex_DC7PSTL737p3x008M=w1824-h1368-no

Jared,

I would interested in reading about your process to wrap the spinner. If you are willing to share

Spinner Seam Layout

Jared,

I would interested in reading about your process to wrap the spinner. If you are willing to share

I broke it down into a pie. I found it to difficult to wrap to much of the compound curve without stretching the vinyl too much and causing discoleration. I'm use Avery SW900 for the Orange. This particular color from Avery looses it's color very easy if stretched too much. I could have probably gotten away with a few less seams with a different color from Avery that didn't discolor so much when stretched.

-6jQBSScXnOtaNPQPoWp0MJp3cQmFcOKXlYK8uDIDZr4hL6DveZvdFT4m4r6KNZgIxVfx-fOIezXjv3fOJ3_lqKJ_LQ18QtDOEtbulp6dFLN4XgpB6cH00Rh3gKjNXhAss3Kbl2Gifwr1VRhh9Jn4gQaNsrkVBDyveYAe9sbAo94iZ8-tUVh-SVsoq6q6ZW4B-DlXpjvySVAO4uVWwZD1Ay39LJwtpXmo0dSx71GohqnIBQ6PfctuWiVRIff9QzG2VPWhIbz0KXL8RDWhKLvU8sKAcP-aUKlq_9reCCy8q_SdWyvcyS6onAM_FeSZt_RAkiJfjNKW2B2csctcc7VBBQUpfeJjgYiPPDt0cVWQ876FsGfQR40S7JA8wbNeaqiFF-gOjr3G3VbaciLtjVWTOw9NTblATP4fz_2fFMeIWZd4TUffBDRc9YQb1jw0pwuOXwhPsmLvnfKkfSTgvn6rPQfIOpfe-VBkI0tS_cFVf_RQUf-AbBnke7j4oQCVdYEOZc3F1UybrAJU2vtZXVyrahVKwH1jijfnFoE-41vRCRGp62AVBr3nTuJsnoqkIDk1FmbIE5xEMR9jr8thM6BHYTpeIpVcNKhmqFq82U=w1041-h858-no

I'm strongly considering a large vinyl accent graphic in addition to two painted primary colors (white and black).

How easily does the stuff come off if I want to repair or change colors?

Depends. Time since application, vinyl quality/thickness, and sun exposure seem to be the big variables.

We peel a lot of truck graphics at the store. Quality vinyl, 3 years old, not too bad. Cheap vinyl, 5+ years old, a real PITA. I've tried every method you can imagine....heat, chemical, water blast, etc. Fresh vinyl comes off in sheets. Old vinyl comes off in little pieces.

Keep in mind that truck vinyl is mostly installed on vertical panels. Horizontal panels will age faster.

Have you seen cabover Isuzu or Chevy G3500's in an Aaron's or Rent-a-Center wrap? The 2011 off-lease units we processed last year took three man days per truck, minimum.

Aluminum truck bodies are built with pre-painted white panels 4 feet wide. Being a production item, paint adhesion is pretty good. No often, but sometimes we'll pull paint off a panel when peeling vinyl.

Opinion: I wouldn't hesitate to install quality vinyl as trim over quality paint, but I'd peel and replace it as a proactive maintenance item at some point in the future, while it would still come off without issue.

Dan, I think the big difference for an RV wrap compared to a truck, is that the RV will likely spend more of its time in a hangar away from UV. So on that front, you'd probably be better off for longevity.

(still considering vinyl in future, but haven't pulled the trigger and bought any yet)

I?m in the middle of a wrap myself I did the wheel pants first figured it was the hardest part. The upper cow was pretty tough too. Did it inkne piece though and with a good post heat seems to be staying. (Although the inside of the air inlets were done separately of the outside )

I have a scoop on my lower cow and and trying to figure out how many pieces to use can?t do that in one that?s for sure.

I too decided to wrap rather than paint. Also using the 3M 1080 film. There are a few tricks to learn like when to use heat and when to not along with where to start applying the film when it comes to complex shapes. Overall it's pretty easy and if I don't like it simply peel it off.

Here are a few pictures of my wingtips and ailerons.

1z1v1a1.jpg

140mfdx.jpg

Jason,
It looks like you wrapped the ends of the ailerons. They look a bit different than my 9 aileron ends. How did you do them? The way mine are with the shop heads of the rivets sticking up and not much surface area for the wrap to cling to I don't know how I can wrap them.
Thanks,
Dave

After looking at the complexity of the ends of the ailerons I decided to paint them first. I masked the skins off leaving about a 1/16th exposed and painted gloss white. The rest was wrapped using one complete sheet of vinyl. I did this same process for the flaps.

I will say, there is a fair amount of waste with vinyl. If you're a noob (me) there's even more.

So far I've wrapped:
Gear Leg Fairings
Wing Tips
Ailerons
Flaps
Wing Access Panels

And I'm into it for just at $500 for the materials.

million dollar question?
How much are we talking here cost wise, versus paint

I spent about $2000 (US dollar equivalent) on vinyl (3M 1080) and had lots left over. More than enough to do the areas I didn’t cover in vinyl (most of the fibreglass parts). I spent about $2500 (us equivalent) for a professional painter to paint the fibreglass parts (White only). The paint is colour matched to the vinyl. This was my first attempt at vinyl and I didn’t think I could do an acceptable job on the engine cowls considering the compound curves and future heat/wear and tear they would experience. I was also in a hurry to finish so the painter painted while I finished with vinyl and prepped the plane for final inspection.

Bevan

wkjp1y.jpg

Last edited:
I am not much of a painter but I am leaning heavily toward doing a white base coat with all vinyl accents. Any thoughts? Would I be better off going all vinyl over an anticorrosion primer (I intend to prime anyway)?

If you prime first, you lose much of the advantages of using vinyl.

Cost
Weight
Time

The skins are alclad which is to control corrosion as long as the alclad is not compromised. The vinyl protects the alclad. My opinion only.

Bevan.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried or heard of someone else using clear wrap over polished aluminum so as to not have to polish anymore?

million dollar question?
How much are we talking here cost wise, versus paint

I am completing some of the vinyl and having an installer handle the complex curves. I think I will have $2,500 for material and labor. Much of the plane is polished.

Figured some might like a prep on vinyl
I wrapped the entire plane, fiberglass parts and all and have been very happy with the results. Cost about $1950 in material.

I used Avery on the plane as a test subject I used 3m1080 on my truck cap had it outside, in The elements of a brutal winter and I am just now noticing some lifting around the rear window on the truck cap.

I even used primer/ adhesion promoter in this area. So that doesn?t make me too happy. Probably about a line 8 inches long, 3/8 to half inch wide. Lifting on both sides.

Back