What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A really stupid new Rotax "Mandatory SB"

Bill_H

Well Known Member
Just got (Dec 23, 2015) a notice about a new Mandatory Rotax Service Bulletin Affecting All Rotax Engines!!!!

Quickly I go and read it!!!

http://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/sb-all-000_r19.pdf

Stupid thing says
"Be sure you use the latest manuals." And "Drink More Ovaltine."

So now, as a good logbook keeper, I have to make a copy of it, put it in the logbook (my engine log is 3-ring binder) and add it to the SB page with a signed note of compliance.

Dumb waste of thousands of people's time.

????

Uh, what's stupid about it? Looks like a normal SB to me from any manufacturer. Am I missing something?:confused:

It's Christmas time and "A Christmas Story" is running 24 hours straight. You guys don't see the humor in that?

I am new to this SB compliance, so

While it is redundant to log compliance with SB's 1 to X only to get X+1 that says comply with SB's 1-through-X is stupid on the surface, does't it supply you with a definitive list of SB's that you can show to "someone who cares " that you haven't missed one in your compliance list? Is there another source of relevant SB's that would have shown this without another SB to list them? Or, is it your point that they could have provided the listing without making it a convoluted SB?

I asked the RotaxOwner forum to check mfg date for my engine serial number and how to determine SB’s. Response as follows:

5652766 912ULS

original factory configuration:
with fuel lines
UL2 I=2,43 with clutch
without vacuum pump
with green valve covers
without mech. tachom. pick up
without external generator
without air guide baffle
with std. temperature sensors
with screw connection UNF
with expansion tank
without air box
bent sockets for engine truss
starter large

Production Date 25/02/2009

To get all the service bulletins, use the link http://www.rotax-owner.com/en/support-topmenu/service-bulletins

Click on the tab "By Engine Model".
Choose dropdown "all Type 912 ULS"
And click the 'select date range' checkbox and use date range
From 02/2009
To 12/2015
Then click the Search button.

You can also use the 'by engine serial #" tab, but not all documents can be exactly correlated to engine serial numbers, so to be absolutely thorough you should use "By Engine Model"

Last edited:
Just got (Dec 23, 2015) a notice about a new Mandatory Rotax Service Bulletin Affecting All Rotax Engines!!!!

Quickly I go and read it!!!

http://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/sb-all-000_r19.pdf

Stupid thing says
"Be sure you use the latest manuals." And "Drink More Ovaltine."

So now, as a good logbook keeper, I have to make a copy of it, put it in the logbook (my engine log is 3-ring binder) and add it to the SB page with a signed note of compliance.

It was like getting a "we need to talk" email from a girl who actually didn't want to dump you. In other words, an initial shock to the system followed by "Meh."

Last edited:
silver lining

Well, I'm certainly glad you received, read, digested it and posted your commentary. I don't think I've ever seen such a clear Tech-to-English translation! Thanks!:D

-dbh

I agree with Bill H to da max: Rotax has some dude who gets his jollies and thrills by making lots of people do "mandatory" dumb stuff.
EBB

Must be time for another Rotax-bashing thread, is it...?

It's been discussed here a number of times previously. Manufacturers of aircraft and aircraft components normally consider their Service Bulletins 'Mandatory'. They are obliged by the regulating authorities to provide SBs. Remember, Rotax engines aren't just found in FAA LSAs - they're installed in everything from the lightest ultralight to certified IFR twins and UAVs.

Is it really a requirement to print off a copy of an SB and keep it with the aircraft log books? At work we have SB/AD compliance statements for each aircraft we maintain (UK CAA and FAA registered) but we don't print off a copy of each SB for each aircraft, engine, component.

So you read the SB in question, note that it is 'info only' and record it as such in the appropriate place - log book, compliance statement or whatever.

These days, most manufacturers provide SBs free of charge.

Rotax and a number of other 'modern thinking' manufacturers (Cirrus, Diamond, Tecnam, Van's to name but a few) also provide other continuing airworthiness data FOC - Illustrated Parts Catalogs, Maintenance Manuals etc.

A number of other manufacturers (Cessna, Lycoming, Piper, TCM) still do not provide all continuing airworthiness data for free....

So, free info provided and people whinge. :rolleyes:

Bizarre.

Merry Christmas.... ;)

I list the SBs in my log book with a note of: NA, Complied, Recurring or Not Complied With. I don't have any in the last category, but I do have Vans design changes I have elected to not do like the fuel tank mods. Mine is an ELSA so I have the latitude to decide.

Jerry, this is the inanity of writing an SB that says "Here are the revision numbers of our latest manuals. Be sure you use these latest manuals."

No need for that to be an SB, just saying that in the email would suffice.

As good practice, required or not, I log each SB with what I did about it and, include at least the first couple of pages of it for context. When there are updated Manuals, I download them to my Ipad. What's the point of putting that I did that in the logbook?
Stupid.

Not a basher...

I just see it as Rotax stating the obvious so they have some level of protection from being sued by some person who didn't do what should have been obvious. No big deal.

But who would Rotax email that there is a new SB out, even if it is for 'info' only highlighting SB and manual revision status? Keeping email addresses for every Rotax owner up to date would be an impossible task.

Certainly in Europe this information is promulgated by manufacturers issuing SBs. I don't think Rotax go to all this time and effort for a laugh or to waste owners' time.

And as said, by doing this it is difficult to deny knowledge of the latest manuals' existence so they are protecting themselves.

Some people here just like to slate Rotax for the joy of it - perhaps if they were kept less informed they'd be happier. If Rotax don't pass out enough info (eg float availability) people complain and then when they do hand out free stuff (continuing airworthiness data), people complain!

Back