What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CT Cruiser

jrsites

Well Known Member
Anyone else see the "CT Cruiser" at Oshkosh? Lengthened, widened RV-6 with an IO-540 (if I remember correctly), really neat tilt canopy that includes the window area above the baggage compartment, and a chromoly roll cage. I also noticed some sort of solar panels in the wing tips. Not sure what they were for.

Beautiful plane.

I did get a picture of the sign he'd made up detailing the features. And I got a shot of the cockpit. But they're on my phone, so I won't be able to get them uploaded and linked here until I get back home to my computer.

Sorry about that! :D

doug has been posting some..........

nice stuff on osh. the ct is incredible. thanks doug!!!!!!!!!

Thats Chucks airplane. One of the Bowman field reprobates. <BG> Those solar cells run cockpit fans that remove heat when the A/C is parked. Keeps the interior from cooking.
The canopy is pretty cool too. Electrically actuated. He designed all this stuff himself. Pretty amazing airplane.
You should get a look at the engine compartment. Wow.
He also built the bright red RV-3 with the checked stripes thats at LOE every year.
Nicest, smartest guy I've ever met. Helped me rebuild my RV-4.

Dennis

Anyone else see the "CT Cruiser" at Oshkosh? Lengthened, widened RV-6 with an IO-540 (if I remember correctly), really neat tilt canopy that includes the window area above the baggage compartment, and a chromoly roll cage. I also noticed some sort of solar panels in the wing tips. Not sure what they were for.

Beautiful plane.

Chuck Brietigam

Yes, he's quite the gentleman and builder. I have had the fortunate opportunity to watch this airplane being built (it took him around 11 years). I think it's hard to image what he has done by making it 3"wider and making it longer. Sounds like a simple thing, but he has basically re-engineered everything on this plane from the canopy to the engine mount to the cowl to the turbo to the fuselage etc, etc.

And to make it that much more great, he has helped countless newbies and would give the shirt off his back to help anybody with anything. He is very patient, and enjoys helping others. He is not one of those guys that has an idea and hides it from others. He loves to talk engineering and share his ideas. He (and Greg Gruininger -- another master builder -- RV-8 Wild Streak Silver Lindy) have been my mentors.

Anybody up at Oshkosh drop by and chat with him -- he's a great guy and would love to meet you. Dave

Last edited:
I got to see this plane at Osh too. Took a few pics of it, but haven't had time to upload very many of my Osh2010 photos to Photobucket yet.

It looks like an exceptionally comfortable, fast, and long-legged cross country machine, and with that big turbocharged IO-540 on the nose, it undoubtedly climbs like a rocketship. It's even equipped with an onboard oxygen system.

It does look heavy, though.

1600 pound empty wedight, IIRC. This is NOT an RV any more than a Rocket is an RV. The guy did a nice job, that's for sure!

This seems to be a lot more than bolting on a big engine and go fly. In addition to widening it, he added some length. The LONG tipup makes getting to the larger baggage area much easier.

I got a pic..

P1020055.JPG

He said the mod for the canopy alone took 9 months and it's electrically driven. The solar panels on the tips ran 2 fans in the rear for circulation I guess.

Back