What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for an SL30 installation

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I am just not quite happy with the way my SL30 slides into its tray, like maybe it is not going all the way in perhaps. Here is a photo of mine, if you could check to see if yours is the same or is going in more, I would appreciate it. It powers up com and nav sections, but that could happen if the pins are just touching and not inserted. The latch will turn and engage, but there is no ability to tighten it after engagement.
205rx8k.jpg
[/IMG]

The rear of the faceplate should fit up against the front of the rack, if it is then it's fully engaged.

That confirms my thoughts, there seems to be about 1/8 inch between the faceplate and the tray. Now for the fun part, trying to figure out WHY it don't want to go all the way in.
The rear of the faceplate should fit up against the front of the rack, if it is then it's fully engaged.

Couldn't get my VAL nav radio to seat properly a couple weeks ago. Finally realized that when I had attached the Dsub connector to the back of the rack after changing one of the Dsub pins I had reattached the Dsub to the rack upside down. Don't know if that's possible with your radio, but might be worth checking if you've been working on the connectors. John

The hex wrench rotates a tab that pulls the radio into position. If that tab gets between the mounting tray and the instrument panel, it results in the radio not being fully seated. Pull the radio out and make sure that the tab is fully retracted. Then push the radio in as far as possible before turning the hex wrench. I had trouble getting my SL40 fully into position too.

Thanks guys, the locking tab seems to be going into the right spot, but there is NO turns to tighten it, it is already tight. I did have the com side plug out and reattached it, but as I recall it will only go in the right way.
Another nightmare thought, I had to put d-sup pins on wires of course, and I recall there are different sizes. I can just see a female pin back there that is too small for the radio pin to fit into.
Then again I can just imagine seeing some nut or screw that has fallen into the tray and is jammed back there:mad::mad:

That confirms my thoughts, there seems to be about 1/8 inch between the faceplate and the tray. Now for the fun part, trying to figure out WHY it don't want to go all the way in.

The very front of the rack needs to be flush with the front of the panel. (By front I mean most aft in the plane!) If it's recessed at all the radio won't seat properly, the beezle is wider than the cutout.

Another friend commented the same way. However in the RV12, Vans has elected to have the tray recessed 3/8 to 1/2 inch from the panel. Not sure why they did that, it does put the back of the tray up really close to the firewall. The SL30 faceplate does go inside the panel cutout, just like the SL40 one did.

The very front of the rack needs to be flush with the front of the panel. (By front I mean most aft in the plane!) If it's recessed at all the radio won't seat properly, the beezle is wider than the cutout.

I have seen this before in cases where a round-head screw was used to attach the connectors to the tray, instead of countersunk screws as depicted. Easy to check and easy to fix if it turns out to be a problem.

Problem solved, or was never a problem to start with. I pulled it out and studied the latching mechanism since there were no obstructions showing. I reinstalled it with more finesse of using the latch, and it went right in and the latch sucked it home like it should have to start with. Thanks for all the help! I do have a problem though, I cannot get the SL30 to stop saying "Com Failure", not sure what is going on there.
64jgyg.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Solved that one too, in checking the wires down, found I had unplugged the nav/com plug from the red box and forgotten it was not plugged. Now it seems the SL30 seems to be talking to the Skyview OK, but is not listening to the Skyview when it talks back.

Now it seems the SL30 seems to be talking to the Skyview OK, but is not listening to the Skyview when it talks back.
According to the schematics I have, SV-D1000 pin 10 should connect to SL30 D-Sub 37, pin 4.

Back