What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition Inspection at 1400 hours.......

guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
and things I found. Newly overhauled IO-360-A4A added at 1332 hours AF. I removed the oil pickup screen and found 20% blockage of screen due to sludge, RTV, and a couple of metal non-ferrous particles. The sludge is probably due to changing a constant speed crank to fixed pitch, removing the inner plug and installing the outer. The RTV is probably assembly sealant that squeezed out into the engine interior during 68 hours SMOH. These 2 pieces of RTV were a pencil lead diameter and 3 to 4 inches long jammed up against the threaded plug with the sludge from the crank. Second, I just returned from our annual trip "back east" visiting friends, kids, and grandkids that took us to Ft Worth, Pryor OK, Clearwater FL, and Tunica MS (33 hrs). Somewhere I managed to get a quarter teaspoon of water inside the battery compartment of my AmeriKing ELT. There was only a little surface rust on one of the D cell batteries and voltage check good on all 6 batteries. This ELT is sealed with o-rings and is mounted under the vertical tail and the wrap-around fairing. How did water get in there? Third, I check the timing on my P-Mags and found there was a 3 or 4 degree advance difference between using the starter hole and the case split method with the starter hole be more advanced. I used the case spilt and reduced the timing advance. Between the timing over-advance and 20% blockage of the oil pickup screen, I think I have solved the high oil temp problem. Dan

and things I found.
--- snip ---
Second, I just returned from our annual trip "back east" visiting friends, kids, and grandkids that took us to Ft Worth, Pryor OK, Clearwater FL, and Tunica MS (33 hrs). Somewhere I managed to get a quarter teaspoon of water inside the battery compartment of my AmeriKing ELT. There was only a little surface rust on one of the D cell batteries and voltage check good on all 6 batteries. This ELT is sealed with o-rings and is mounted under the vertical tail and the wrap-around fairing. How did water get in there?
--- snip ---
Dan

I am betting that it is leakage from a D battery. Have seen similar on other ELTs that use D Batteries.

Just curious, in what locations would RTV be used during engine assembly that would allow it to migrate to the oil screen?

Just curious, in what locations would RTV be used during engine assembly that would allow it to migrate to the oil screen?

Yes, I can not think of any acceptable gasket that would get RTV on an engine. except corners and the end of case joints. Those would just be dabs.

Edit: if it is used on cylinder bases there are durability issues.

Last edited:
Back