What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto Fuel

todehnal

Well Known Member
I probably speak for much of the RV-12 population when I say that, given a choice, we would rather burn pure non ethanol premium fuel in our 912s. To date, I have not been able to find it, and have been using 93 octane fuel that included 10% ethanol. I am including a link below that is very interactive, and you can search for the premium that you would like to use. I had no idea that it was still available. As you key on the flags on the map, you will get an octane rating for the ethanol free fuel that is available at that location. I'm not saying that this will be available to everyone, but it may be worth you checking it out. In my area, this pure premium is only about $.25/gal higher, and that suits me just fine. Hope this helps some of you out.

Tom

You may have to copy and paste to get it to work.

The Link: http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

Hi Tom,

If you can get ethanol free fuel then I think that's great, but if you can't it really won't make any difference and you can feel comfortable using it. Probably the huge majority of the 912 fliers in the US have been using ethanol fuel for many years. In some countries the ethanol is up as high as 23%.

Interesting map?

The States that produce the stuff have the most ethanol free gas stations.

FWIW I use the ethanol variety and my airplane does not care.

The States that produce the stuff have the most ethanol free gas stations.

You mean like Minnesota, a big corn producing state? Missouri?
In many states there is no mandate but the distributor chooses to incorporate ethanol for some reason, such as the incentive makes it monetarily worthwhile to sell ethanol. Some stations run out of pumps to offer alternatives and non-ethanol loses out at some blend levels.

It would be nice to see more mogas airports switch from 87 to 91 octane and advertise it. It's hard know if mogas is other than 87. I recently bought 91 at Lee's Summit, MO, but couldn't find anything north of Dallas that was near my destination. There is one up near Monroe, WI that I used enroute to Oshkosh.

I'm still a bit confused after talking to the supplier near me. According to him, anything under 93 octane without ethanol is not pure premium. So, accordingly, if you get 90, or 91 ethanol free mogas, it is a blend of premium, and something else. Does that make sense?? He says that he buys the pure, unblended, and un-ethanol laden premium. I also have been using 93 octane fuel, with ethanol, and it has not been a problem, but I am not sure that the I wouldn't be better off without the ethanol. I even worry about my fuel station hose and the effects on the rubber, the pump, and the filter. I know that when my local gas station went to ethanol fuel, they had to change out all of the filters to a different product, because of the ethanol. Also, is ethanol what is destroying RV-12 back windows?? I guess there is something to be said for pure, and yes, it is more expensive.

While I'm not flying yet, we do have an ethanol service station right outside of the airport. I've been using it in my cars and can really tell a difference in performance between that and the ethanol based premiums in town. I can't wait to try it in the Rotax.

Now, if I could just get that gas at the airport!

Bob

Back