What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New steel struts

dick seiders

Well Known Member
I may be wrong but holes called it on dwg. 3402 fig. 1 in strut ends don't make any sense to me. 7/64 should be drilled in the bushing and strut should be .250.
Larger bushing needs to be drilled out to accommodate the 1/4 bolt and strut to 3/8 as called for. If anyone has done this differently I would like hear about it.
Dickseiders 120093

The ∅7/64" dimension on the plan included with the kit was a typo and has been corrected to ∅17/64" on the most recent plan 34-02 rev. 4

The ∅dimension of the big end was correct.

Also, I found that the holes for the bolts in the bushings were the correct size but had burrs and I had to run a drill bit in them for the bolts to go in smoothly.

Edit: Don't drill the small end 1/4". When installed, the strut is not exactly perpendicular to the bolt and if the hole is too tight, it will probably bind. Pretty sure that is why the dimension is 17/64 and not 1/4.

Last edited:
Makes sense Tony. I drilled them out and will install tomorrow. I thought the width of web remaining after reaming to 3/8" on the aft end is somewhat small even foe a stronger steel fitting. Appreciate your assistance in this installation.
Dick seiders

Back