What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exposed positive wires in engine compartment

sglynn

Well Known Member
What is acceptable for having exposed positive wires in engine compartment. I'm mounting solenoids, fuses, etc and I'm seeing photos of buss bars with some shrink wrap but still exposed areas of positive power. Should all positive wires, bars and terminals be well covered to avoid any chance of a short?

Not sure how others think, but I made sure those terminals which were always hot were covered. Here you can see many exposed terminals, but they are only hot when the master is on. I used silicone self bonding tape to cover some of the terminals. Make sure there is nothing that could come loose and get to the terminals.

8WSJmhP3U6adUkOLKjaYSAEZVKMaCMJS-cSBFmYtVbWcHjcgD9FXJ82NV7Qj6le3g9ZmAsZqRSMxSPzfhFIC83OBFVBiIyVLySVmJVLYbFRrOELBDNV8NlDjHeHzLzDKjHaGWfOQdW2e44EP4pYZJTUnYnT7xGOKpiqVKryBjZD0jnvK8oRgSV7l6SayD7VKDfNQfMPBqRKrC06h_9fBkBDstNczKAWhdRBD2lYz_ebom4Fo-AylEb0Y5Hy_xgyGO-I4Zaigi8j8aL2qth_xBoPf6zC1-dZzv5UGwSTYn9TOBPc8SQk5mZKmtkK7Ga-VF-Ei4-Mgxp6Hpgd526SnDb7sHwWpTpDvbKoQN13ydFhEFz2q8ufDVkrZ3tn9-MzV7IkKEzoy4yQz6PjQdex9-TFTYUbpaftCogYAifec90dCgjvIu340zNVwF7q6DjgQSpkcHrrMdbJnwr1-tHKKmbTPvgPIAmj3_xHk_KiQGkXzdqDGW8N1mX2uKmHLr0N_Tqo3_OxePSLtRfrJ4WVD3-x8nhuWStTS1rEikNhrqq1Lnf2TXVogBE_5Vlfa0ajNQmJ2p6q01aF6ok0sWA_g3Df9Gk5smrrvqqaErnpk5-ONyGqjAdzI=w701-h934-no

Per plans Bus construction doesn't allow for boots or other insulators on the bar or terminals. I have seen some use liquid rubber painted on, but then you can not inspect the terminals.
Most installations are exposed. What are your "real world" concerns?

I thought about this and what conditions might occur with exposed posts. The only conditions were metal bits flying about in the cowling, or dropping tools across them. I have been leaving the battery ground off so far to prevent the latter. It seems the tools are the most likely issue. How many people wear rings when working? Not me.

I thought about this and what conditions might occur with exposed posts. The only conditions were metal bits flying about in the cowling, or dropping tools across them. I have been leaving the battery ground off so far to prevent the latter. It seems the tools are the most likely issue. How many people wear rings when working? Not me.

Rings or watches/bracelets should never be worn while working on electrical circuits.

I have seen some use liquid rubber painted on, but then you can not inspect the terminals.
I use a thin layer of this on my exposed terminals. Thin enough that its pretty easy to see if everything is tight. Plus if you push pull on the connections no amount of liquid tape is going to keep loose ones from moving so its pretty easy to check everything.

I use a thin layer of this on my exposed terminals. Thin enough that its pretty easy to see if everything is tight. Plus if you push pull on the connections no amount of liquid tape is going to keep loose ones from moving so its pretty easy to check everything.

I put a wrench on everything. Low risk area for sure but I just don't see the value of insulating these and thus far haven't been convinced that there is a need. Always keeping an open mind though.

Last edited:
I did standard open bus connecting the fuses.
Same construction technique as Cessna's and Piper's for decades.
No issues.

options

When I had a low battery this weekend... I just turned the master on and connected my battery charger to one of those exposed connections. Sure saved some time. A bit of silicone wrap is something I like too. It slices off with a sharp knife when access is needed or inspection time. Then I just put a new bit on afterwards.

Back