What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OEM Fuel selector

KNicholas2

I'm New Here
My RV9A is now about 10 years old and has 650 hours. I have never had to do anything with the fuel selector.... until now.

I have a fuel smell in the cockpit. I cannot find any leaks in the fuel lines but a fuel "sniffer" beeps like crazy when I point it at the fuel selector. I have also noticed that I don't get a discernable "click" when I change tanks.

Is this "fixable" with "O" ring replacement or is it time for a new one. Also, do Van's new generation selector valves fit into the earlier generation plumbing? I do NOT want to rerun and rebend fuel lines.

Regards,

Kim Nicholas
Auburn, Wa

I believe there was on old and a new valve that looked the same but the old one had brass innards and was prone to galling and leaking if not maintained/lubed regularly. The newer ones had some type of plastic innards and did not have any of the same problems.

It may be rebuild-able, or probably easier/cheaper to replace it.

The real reason I'm responding: I'm curious about the sniffer you used: make model, bought/rented/borrowed?

I believe there was on old and a new valve that looked the same but the old one had brass innards and was prone to galling and leaking if not maintained/lubed regularly.

The early version and late version valves are quite different and are not interchangeable without redoing fuel line routing.

Any RV-9 finish kit supplied by van's would have the later version valve.

The newer version is far superior to the early valve but if after 10 years it is not acting the same, it would be a good idea to pull it apart. There is an o-ring that is replaceable.

Jeff,

The "sniffer" is at the hangar - I don't remember the name/brand. I remember finding it on Amazon for about $160.00.
The next time I go to the hangar I will try to remember to get the info.

Kim

Hey Kim,

If you ever decide to go with the newer OE valve, I'll sell you mine for $20 plus shipping. I went with the Andair valve. PM if interested.

lube or not, o-ring???

The early version and late version valves are quite different and are not interchangeable without redoing fuel line routing.

Any RV-9 finish kit supplied by van's would have the later version valve.

The newer version is far superior to the early valve but if after 10 years it is not acting the same, it would be a good idea to pull it apart. There is an o-ring that is replaceable.

Scott, or anyone .....some say to 'fuel-lube everything', others say, 'assemble dry'.
Will fuel-lube just wash off any exposed parts? ...thus not really of any use?
is it recommended to use viton o-rings, rather than hardware store plastic/rubbery stuff? mine's getting a little stiff, 2004 kit vintage roughly.

thx gang!

Back