VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-21-2016, 01:18 PM

Are you thé guy Who lost $7200 à few months back? I've got a flying RV, so if I plan to buy or sell anything, and it's within a 600 mile or so radius, I plan to fly and meet thé Guy personally, and exchange Money for item personally, or vice versa. (Sorry about all thé hyphens hère, I'm présently in France, and thé darn thing keeps auto-correcting to french.). (Driving me bananas)
Old 10-21-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
. . . (Sorry about all thé hyphens hère, I'm présently in France, and thé darn thing keeps auto-correcting to french.). (Driving me bananas)
Wait until you go south of the border, it will drive you bañanas!
RV-6A bought flying
Old 10-21-2016, 05:39 PM

I've bought and sold lots of stuff here. I take the risk and so far I have done ok. Not perfect, but I would say I am ahead. There is never zero risk, but I find airplane people are way above average in that regard.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:48 AM

Default The bad apples stink!

But my experience on forum top notch. Bought GNS430W from a very active forum member.... Cross checked him with someone I personally know from forum... And all went smooth and perfect!

Just reiterating the advice to deal with folks who have established themselves here before shelling out big bucks.

2017 Dues paid.. This great site!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:58 AM

I have to support the others who say that not all sellers are bad... I've made half a dozen purchases from people online here, and haven't had a bad experience yet. In fact, even if I include all the things i've bought sight unseen online from craigslist, ebay, and overseas vendors, i've only had one transaction that went slightly sideways... But VISA fixed that for me as it was an eBay purchase where the item never showed up.

Reputation counts for everything... High post count, regular forum visitor, you can even go look at their recent posts and get an idea what kind of person they are. Just joined, very few posts, offering a deal that's "too good to be true"? Stay away...
Old 10-22-2016, 04:38 PM

I too have had excellent luck here with buying and selling, with a couple exceptions. One guy recently was a little squirrely and insisted on cashing the check before shipping. Didn't accept PayPal and never mentioned his little quirk until after I mailed a check., not cool. And one famous guy here sold me a component that, when I installed it years later after it sat, unopened, in my closet for two years, didn't work. He eventually paid half the repair and thought he was being generous. You'll love his excuse.... 2 years have past and any warranty would have expired by now... If I outed him I'd be blacklisted so it won't happen.
ALL the people that bought the intake gaskets were fabulous! Didn't make a nickel in the end but was able to repay a few folks that have been very helpful over the years so the time and effort were well worth it. All paid on time and often more than necessary, THANK YOU!

Last edited by flyingriki : 10-22-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
I too have had excellent luck here with buying and selling, with a couple exceptions. One guy recently was a little squirrely and insisted on cashing the check before shipping.
I had someone pull that little trick on me too. Made me very unhappy.

Otherwise, I've bought a number of items and sold one or two with no problems.

But if you're a buyer, you do need to vet the seller and ask all of the right questions. There are more than a few otherwise very nice people in the world who forget their scruples when money is involved.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:21 PM

I've bought & sold several items on this forum. Like Doug said, I would only complete the transaction with someone who was active & had a high post count.

I hope you get it resolved. I did have transactions through eBay where I placed a deposit and didn't hear from the seller for over a week. I began to be concerned & initiated a claim only to find out the guy was out of town for a week. My thoughts were, why sell when you know you're going to be away in the middle of a sale.

Best of luck!
2017 Donation Paid
Old 10-23-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I had someone pull that little trick on me too. Made me very unhappy.

Otherwise, I've bought a number of items and sold one or two with no problems.

But if you're a buyer, you do need to vet the seller and ask all of the right questions. There are more than a few otherwise very nice people in the world who forget their scruples when money is involved.
I don't blame a seller for wanting to do that either before sending. Scams can work both ways. I'd consider Paypal or use this site: https://www.escrow.com
Old 10-23-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
I don't blame a seller for wanting to do that either before sending. Scams can work both ways. I'd consider Paypal or use this site: https://www.escrow.com
You don't do that unless you stipulate it before entering the agreement.

Once upon a time, I sent a guy a 5 figure check based on his word and his description of an item. I thought it was completely unacceptable when he told me upon receipt of my check "I'm not shipping the item until the check clears.". You've gotta be kidding me.
Closed Thread