VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-15-2016, 12:08 AM

Default FRAUD ALERT [ed. Thread made sticky by dr.]

My account recently got hacked there's a person by the user name of TILLER Who will send you a PM with the link, do not open the link. He/She was able to hack into my account and post a bunch of erroneous ads.
I am not selling an RV9 nor am I selling an RV3.

[ed. Scammers/Spammers...reminder they exist.

It's time again to remind folks about scammers in the world. A couple of folks clicked on a link PM'd to them by a scammer recently and then entered their VAF password at the link given (don't ever do that!!!). The scammer then logged in here as them and made contact with some other folks about WTB/FS listings. No money changed hands that I can tell, but I had to lock down their accounts until I could straighten things out.

In a classified listing, there should be a phone number, or an N-number, a picture or an email address in the listing....something you can Google yourself. Some write their phone number out in words instead of numbers, or in a mix of words and numbers (a good idea). The person's profile should show info that isn't cryptic. 'PM me or click on this link for more info' should be a huge red flag! Don't click on links sent to you in order to 'get more info'. A higher level of alert should exist on your end when using the email or private message areas.

For me, if a post doesn't have a phone number I pass. "PM me" or "PM sent" is a deal breaker with me. I personally never PM or email in regards to classifieds, but that's me. I worked in I.T. security for a decade, so I'm suspicious by nature, and know some of the risks. I choose to call them if they type in a way to reach them and get a feel for their knowledge of the item being offered over the phone. Your risk level might be different.

This is really, really important. Don't EVER enter your VAF password anywhere but here! If you do, you most likely just gave your password to a scammer...

You can put someone's email address listed in a classified in Google to see if it pops up on some spam lists. Trust your gut. If it's a new account listing a $5000 GPS as a first post....hesitate. Any low-count poster with an item to sell should get more scrutiny from you.

Familiarize yourself more about Internet fraud, phishing, vishing and online security and safety at: https://www.usa.gov/online-safety (See how if you hover your mouse over the link you can see the SAME address at the bottom corner of your browser? Make sure that's always the case!)

I'm asking the mods to raise their squelch setting. If a mod or I don't get a warm fuzzy or your classified is cryptic in nature, it's gone, and your account locked until I can research. I'd like to thank again the under-appreciated moderators on this site who help me guard against this type thing when I'm away from the keyboard. They delete suspicious posts that I miss when I'm sleeping and stuff. We are lucky to have them around.

Registration Tip: If you're currently a lurker and thinking about registering a forums account, the more detail you provide in your profile (stuff I can verify with search engines), the better chance you stand of me approving the registration. If you leave fields blank and/or the info is cryptic, and the email address is a long combination of random, expect to be declined.
I'm not asking for bank routing numbers, just something I can use to verify you're a current/potential RV-builder/owner. Scammers are sniffing around the periphery, and I need to shore up the walls a bit. If you're not cool w/that, that's OK - you can already read stuff as a lurker.

Sometimes the crazies get in, and I'm sorry for that. We're trying as hard as we can, but there is evil in the world (as you know). v/r,dr][

RV9A N942DM Emp complete, wings complete, fuse complete, working on finish. Engine and prop waiting to be installed!!!

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 07-19-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:50 AM

Default the 6

still collecting dust on the 6. wish I could get it. sorry u got hakd.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycool View Post
My account recently got hacked there's a person by the user name of TILLER Who will send you a PM with the link, do not open the link. He/She was able to hack into my account and post a bunch of erroneous ads.
I figured as much. I got a reply, with photos, for an RV-3, but it didn't pass the sniff test. Pretty sophisticated fraud. If you are going to report it to the police, I can provide more info.
2 x offender
1 in the oven
Old 07-15-2016, 06:36 AM

Default Same issue

The same user did the same thing to me. I did not open the link. I forwarded the email to DR who shut down the user's account. I had a similar email from another user (both had zero posts) a couple of weeks back. Be careful!!
RV-6 N917PF (sold)
Old 07-15-2016, 07:22 AM

Along these lines, I recently had Kay Jay Kayj785@gmail.com respond via private email to a WTB ad I posted and was happy to sell the item to me. I googled his name and bad things popped up on other aviation related forums.

[ed. Thanks John. I google email addresses all the time to see if there are any 'hits'. v/r,dr]
hope to fly it in summer of 2017
0601054@gmail.com

Last edited by admin : 07-15-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:00 AM

I responded to the Mycool RV3 ad in the form of a PM.

The subject whose email name indicates "Sorrell" sent an email with 4 photos of an RV3. The senders email address was luxurious0987@gmail.com.

Along with the photos the sender requested my delivery address and indicated the they would immediately deliver. No further dialog was exchanged.

Thanks for the alert.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:04 AM

A great sanity check for an airplane for sale is to look up the reg on the faa database. You can have the name and address of the owner in about 30s. If you can't get the registration then walk away.

Last edited by sblack : 07-15-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:22 AM

Default Report the Identity Theft to the Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycool View Post

[ed. 'Mycool' and others are right! Don't just assume everybody here is 100% honest. If they provide a link for you to click on, hover your mouse over the link and see if it is going someplace 'weird'. I wouldn't communicate with someone ONLY by PM. If they don't provide a phone number, raise a mental flag. If the email address they provide seems 'fishy', don't email it.

Some of the scammers these days are sneaky - they create an alternate site that asks you for your password (HUGE RED FLAG).

The 3 accounts that I *think* were scammers are now gone, but be aware. Use 'the smell test' and trust your gut.

If a person wants to sell an airplane, they should have a folder of pictures online and/or pictures inserted in the thread. You shouldn't have to PM anyone for a picture!

v/r,
dr]
I am not sure what the laws are in California, but in Wisconsin Identity Theft is a FELONY with 6 years in prison per count.

All it takes in WI is an attempt by someone to use another person's identity for financial gain and they can be charged with Identity Theft.

For your own protection, you should make a report to the local police and get an incident report (case) number from them.

Every one is also entitled to a free annual credit report from each of the 3 credit bureaus (Equifax, Trans Union & Experian). Request one from each company at a 4 month interval, then if you are married I would highly encourage your other half to stagger their report requests - ie have your spouse do so mid-way between your requests.

When you contact the credit bureau let them know you were a victim of identity theft and provide the police report number to them.

CAUTION there are all kinds of companies that will try and sell you these reports - they are FREE for the asking IF you go directly to the bureaus.

I used to investigate this type of crime and what the bad guys try and get away with is amazing - if one victim had not pulled their credit reports they would have had no idea that a crook was trying to take out a 2nd mortgage using the victim's identity and personal info on the victim's vacation home located in another state.

I'm not saying your identity has been compromised beyond VAF, just that once it has happened, you can't be too careful checking "6".

Even if you have not been the victim of Identity Theft, it is a good idea for everyone to check their credit reports annually as I have described above.
2) USAF Lieutenant Colonel w/ Command Pilot Rating
3) Police Officer

ATP / CFII Airplane Single and Multi-Engine

RV-12 Transition Training, Rental & Instruction.
RV-6A & RV-7A transition training (your airplane).
RV-7 Transition Training (my airplane) Pending.

...--

DE WB9JPH
<IXOYE><

www.facebook.com/rv12wi
Old 07-15-2016, 08:53 AM

Hi, I would just add that you can run a FAA check on the N number to make sure that it belongs too the seller.

Russ Emick.Jr
Old 07-15-2016, 10:33 AM

while it does not help with nefarious registered accounts sending PMs and emails ...

this might be a good time for members to change their account password

its a good idea to change passwords occasionally and not use any of your "important passwords" on forums

the truly security conscious will not reuse any passwords

Last edited by humptybump : 07-15-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Closed Thread