What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting fiberglass cloth

JanZ

I'm New Here
I recently discovered a neat way to cut fiberglass cloth while starting my canopy fairing build. I first downloaded the pdf file for the fiberglass cut templates and transferred them to a national office supply chain for printing. When I got back my five copies, they were "expanded to fit" the page, even though my work order said "not to". Thus they were unusable !

That led me to break apart the pdf drawing into a picture for each ply and then send it to my CO2 laser cutter for cutting the patterns. Vary accurate cut, and relatively easy to do. Then I thought, "why not cut the fiberglass cloth this way." So I smoothed and laid out a piece of 9 oz cloth over the cutout template still on the laser cutter bed and proceeded to cut out the glass weave. Perfect !

There are several nice benefits about this technique:
1) I didn't have to make a separate pdf images for the left and right sides as they are mirror images.
2) The cuts are extremely accurate and fast.
3) We can readily make any number of copies to handle mistakes or
alternate plies.
4) The edges along the cut line are lightly heat-sealed, so no unraveling of the weave.
5) Since no rotary cutter, scissors or razor blades are used, there is no stretching or distortion of the cloth.

Feel free to message me for more info on how.

Me too, I have to cut 32 different pieces to make a plenum. I have finally started stacking several layers and lay templates on over the piece and roller cut by hand.

I would love to have them cut with something like that.

I would need a 50 X 50" cutter table though.

One more tip

I recently discovered you can make narrow masking tape 1/4? with razor blade and straight edge. Tape the shape you need on the glass/ carbon. Cut the part down the middle of tape and apply with resin. When, cured or nearly cured, just pull the 1/8? tape off and NO frayed EDGES 👍

Are there now good laser cutters available in the hobby price range? In particular, a laser able to cut steel as well as glass cloth?

I just used a really sharp scissors from a fabric store. Never had any issues cutting fiberglass. I once tried to use Kevlar cloth but gave up trying to cut it.

The hobby laser cutters are in the 40 watt range, good enough to cut cloth, paper, leather; not yet to the 200-250 watt range needed for 16 gauge steel.

Yes, but it only cuts well, if there is something like particle board under it, and fine particle board at that.

(I used a rotary as well and it does work very well.)

That's true but a piece of masonite, MDF or whatever is easy to find, is inexpensive and really does work well.

Haven't tried to laser cut Kevlar yet. As soon as I find a swatch, will post results here.

Back