What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Tailcone J-Stiffeners

Wolfgang M.

I'm New Here
I started to assemble the tailcone. Page 10-06 Step 4.
Unfortunately the J-Stiffeners F-1283A & B do not fit at all. It is almost one hole diameter off.:confused:
Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong?
Wolfgang

Picture

Could you post an image of that part please?
I remember that every time something hasn't fit or seemed ackward, it was always me who overlooked or misaligned a part.
I would be suprised if in your case the J-stiffeners of the skins don't fit in.

Go back and retrace all steps leading up to that step. It's conceivable a part could be wrong, but highly unlikely.

Image of J-Stiffener

Thank you for your reply.
I tried to send some Images, not sure how it works!
qxvuhf.jpg

2v8phds.jpg

Wolfgang

Alignment

I am not in my shop right now so I can't answer 100%,
but to me it looks that the F-1283A stiffener should be placed outside of the J-channel of the skin.
In your picture it is located inside the J-channel.

The F-1283A stiffener has to be placed inside of the J-channel of the Skin.

In the meantime I received some information from Vans. They are back from Oshkosh now.
This Problem is caused by a mis bent part and happened a few times recently.
It will be a quick and easy Job to fix.

I recall marking several sections that did not appear to line up and I was concerned. Once everything was cleco'd up it all lined up.

I do have some ripples over the stiffeners - common as I understand it. Vans said build it and fly it... so I will.

The F-1283A stiffener has to be placed inside of the J-channel of the Skin.

In the meantime I received some information from Vans. They are back from Oshkosh now.
This Problem is caused by a mis bent part and happened a few times recently.
It will be a quick and easy Job to fix.

Wolfgang, I came across the same problem with the holes not aligning when the stiffeners are placed in the J-channel of the bottom skin. (Empennage kit shipped Jan 2014)

What was the information from Van?s and the fix?

Wolfgang, I came across the same problem with the holes not aligning when the stiffeners are placed in the J-channel of the bottom skin. (Empennage kit shipped Jan 2014)

What was the information from Van?s and the fix?

Hi Scorkey... you're asking a question in a 4 year old post.
I'm building the tail cone of an RV-12is right now and I have not had any alignment problems with stiffeners.

If you can be more specific... what part is not aligning with what part... I'll try to help you.

Hi Scorkey... you're asking a question in a 4 year old post.
I'm building the tail cone of an RV-12is right now and I have not had any alignment problems with stiffeners.

If you can be more specific... what part is not aligning with what part... I'll try to help you.

Jyuma, I realize the thread is old, but I?m working with a 5 year old RV-12 empennage kit, so his experience (and the guidance from Vans) would be pertinent.

I was asking Wolfgang specifically because I experienced an identical issue to what he had reported having a problem with - Page 10-06 Step 4 and getting the J-Stiffeners F-1283A & B to align with the J channels of the lower skins.

Jyuma, I realize the thread is old, but I?m working with a 5 year old RV-12 empennage kit, so his experience (and the guidance from Vans) would be pertinent.

I was asking Wolfgang specifically because I experienced an identical issue to what he had reported having a problem with - Page 10-06 Step 4 and getting the J-Stiffeners F-1283A & B to align with the J channels of the lower skins.

Oh... I didn't realize the kits in question were old. Mine is brand new, just got it on March 14th. Sorry.

Back