What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex canopy

dr cooper

Good morning

I have a question about installing the rear window with Sika. Are you fitting and making adjustments to the plexi with the 744 top skin permanently installed?

Are there any problems doing it that way?
Suggestions and advice much appreciated.

Thanks.
Cliff, RV9A /tip-up
Chase, BC

Last edited:
Thanks, Gents

Lots of great information and ideas on your photo gallery.
I'll be using the filament trick on the rear window.

Bruce - I made the canopy centre handle modification - what do you do with the fat head of the cotter pin that stops the handle from rotating or marking up the paint?

Does your canopy bubble, when closed, clear the roll bar by 1/8th of an inch all the way around?

Thanks
Cliff

I don't recall doing anything special with the cotter pin. I'm sure you could squish it a bit to keep it from rubbing on the frame.

During my Phase 1, I had to keep trimming down the aft edge of the canopy to get more clearance between it and the rear window. I had a few occasions where the thermal expansion locked it up tight and I could hardly get out. I had to fine tune the latch fingers and a few times to get it working smoothly. I wouldn't make the gap too large at first, but you can always sand it down as needed later.

Bevel edges

Coop,

If you bevel the edges of the rear window you'll have LOTS of built in space for the Sikaflex and won't need any spacers. It creates a nice finished look too. Also, don't forget to remove the plastic from the inside surface of the window before your glue it in place.... like I did :mad:

We used a plank and thin ply strips to place pressure on the canopy from the inside, much like the ball does.

Yes - do remove the vinyl.

Guess what, we still have some stuck under the targa strip....

Thank you, Louavul, for giving him a link to my builders log. I hope it's helpful! :)

Just to clarify a couple of things. To directly answer your question, Cliff, I had the skin clecoed on all during the trimming and fitting phase of installing the rear window. But I wanted it riveted in place before applying the Sika and putting the window in permanently. If you think about it, it's hard enough to get that skin riveted on. I crawled inside for bucking rivets and had a friend on the outside with the rivet gun. I can't imagine doing all that after the window is in place.

Having said that, I did leave a small number of rivets on the forward "arms" of the skin until later, so I could get the window in place easily with the Sika on it, etc. That worked just fine.

Another builder suggested sanding down the plexi to create a bevel under the skin so you don't need any spacers. That's a great idea. But I didn't do it. For the record, I didn't worry too much about having a certain thickness of Sika under most of the plexi. This is because of my confidence after doing a simple test.

I took a scrap piece of plexi and and a scrap of aluminum, scuffed, cleaned, and prepped them for Sika just like you would for the real installation. Then I went through the installation process as normal, using the cleaner, wait 10 minutes, apply primer. Wait 30 minutes and apply Sika. Put the parts together and let it cure. I waited about a week. This test piece, which I still have, has been subjected to pull tests from everyone interested who wants to check it out. Using all my strength, I can't begin to pull it apart. Nobody else can either. Mind you, this is only about 1" square, and the Sika is less than 1/16" thick. It's really very thin. And here's the real kicker... the Sika products I used on this test were ALL out of date and expired (left over from my tip-up canopy about a year and a half earlier). A couple of them were expired for a long time! This was a huge confidence boost for me. (I used fresh materials on the window, by the way).

I'm not telling anyone to not use any spacers. The recommended 1/8" thickness that the company puts in all their literature and instructions, is designed for marine applications where you can have large, heavy, flat, potentially huge windows on boats. Study the product and the issues and make up your own mind. For me, I'm very confident that my canopy and my window aren't going to fail or come off. Ever. And it looks real nice, to boot. My rear window is flush with the skin all around and it really looks good. There are pictures on my web pages. I'm totally thrilled with how it turned out.

Here's a picture of my test piece:

P1000574%20(Small).JPG

Sikaflex bonding to F- 631A and fluting

I'm looking for some guidance on the preparing the rear canopy frame support structure - F-631A for using Sikaflex.

The instruction for using screws says with F-631A call for the outer flange to be bent to an angle of 92.5 degrees. Mine are at 90 degrees out of the box. I'm wondering since I'm not using screws if the 2.5 degreed will make any difference when using Sikaflex.

From what I've read on the forum it seems to be hard to bend the flanges and not warp the 631 out of shape and then have to flute it a bunch to get it to lie flat again. I'd like to avoid that if it makes sense.

Thanks, Steve

Back