What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Start!

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
First start today, woohoo!

Fairly uneventful except there was an odd CHT/EGT issue on #3.

In the first 10-15 seconds the CHT shot up to 1000 degrees then a big red X appeared.

The EGT never went above 400 #3.

All the others leveled right out as expected.

The physical temps by touch were about the same for #3 as the others, didn't have a temp gun with me.

If it was just one of the sensors I would think just a bad sensor/wiring problem but both is throwing me off.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas before I start troubleshooting?

Not very helpful but here's a pic after I shut it down and was cooling, the sensor recovered, didn't think to take a pic while it was running.

oEd.jpg

Good show!

Take your heat gun to each of the 8 sensors to make sure they correspond with the proper EIS indicators, thus confirming that they are all wired correctly.

It's real easy to get a wiring error in those 16 wires. I had an - off by one error - in my harness from Stein. Easy to do, Josh unknowingly skipped a pin in the connector after the first five. A couple of temps were correct in mine and then the rest were all screwy.

As another noted, appears that the a pair of EGT and CHT wires got swapped.

It's real easy to get a wiring error in those 16 wires. I had an - off by one error - in my harness from Stein. Easy to do, Josh unknowingly skipped a pin in the connector after the first five. A couple of temps were correct in mine and then the rest were all screwy.

As another noted, appears that the a pair of EGT and CHT wires got swapped.

I had the same thing happen. It makes it tough to troubleshoot unless you know how the connector is supposed to look.

Use Pat Hatch's idea about using a heat gun to trouble shoot your sensor wires.
Try to keep engine starts to the bare minimum. First start to confirm oil pressure and that sensors are working, one minute or so.
Your engine came with a manual and it has information regarding the proper break in of a engine.

The main importance is as few starts as absolutely necessary and definitely no taxi tests!!

Use Pat Hatch's idea about using a heat gun to trouble shoot your sensor wires.
Try to keep engine starts to the bare minimum. First start to confirm oil pressure and that sensors are working, one minute or so.
Your engine came with a manual and it has information regarding the proper break in of a engine.

The main importance is as few starts as absolutely necessary and definitely no taxi tests!!

Can you please expand on this? Why does the engine only require a few starts and no taxi test?

I'll share why no taxi tests. I was advised that during a hight speed taxi test, you could find yourself flying before you are ready. In that case you may not be prepared for flight and may end up bad.

When I first took off for the first time, I was ready and I was told that my wheels were off the ground in 3 seconds. Not much time.

It does not take much effort to fly these creatures.
Dave

I would make that, no high speed taxi tests.

Think about it, if something were to not feel right you're just going to pull the power and stop. If not, your going to let it fly. So the high speed taxi test is just accomplished on your take off roll. Be prepared to pull the power if it gets squirrelly.

You can, and should still taxi some small amount to set the brakes and make sure all is working.

Last edited:
By using the new engine at low power settings you risk not getting the piston rings to seat properly. This could result in excessive oil consumption, reduced power etc.
I know how exciting it is to fire up that new engine but please follow the breaking procedures that come with the engine. Our airplanes are not “new” designs. We know that the Van’s airplanes taxi well etc.
Hire a known expert local small airplane mechanic to check out your aircraft and be there for first start. After 25 years and 11 airplanes they always find something, and that IS a good thing.

Back