What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dealing with SCAT/SCEET Tube Wire

Cut hose to length

Use needle nose pliers to grab the end of the wire

Pull out enough wire so that you leave a few inches of hose at the end without wire

Bend the sharp end of the wire over (1 inch fold)

Use your pliers to shove the folded end of the wire deeply into the hose

Attach the hose with hose clamp (the hose will fit over the flange you're attaching it to very easily with the wire out of the way)

Last edited:
If possible I prefer a slight variation on the above.

Take the wireless hose end and fold it back over the hose.

Now the end of the hose looks finished and the clamp will be over the wire and two layers of fabric rather than an unsupported fabric end.

Custom Duct

There used to be a company up in the northeast called Custom Duct that would vulcanize a non-reinforced silicon based sleeve over the end of SCAT/SCEET tube for just that purpose. I still have some that are almost 25 years old that show no wear and haven't scratched anything along the way. I am getting ready to go looking for them (or someone like them) again to do the hoses on the -3.

I am on a trip, but when I get home I'll look in my resource file and see if I can come up with some contact info.

David Howe

Take the wireless hose end and fold it back over the hose.

Now the end of the hose looks finished and the clamp will be over the wire and two layers of fabric rather than an unsupported fabric end.
I've tried this a half dozen times, and every time i've found that the resulting inside diameter on the hose is too tight to fit over the flange i'm attaching it to.

Is there a trick to getting the doubled thickness over top of the flange?

I've tried this a half dozen times, and every time i've found that the resulting inside diameter on the hose is too tight to fit over the flange i'm attaching it to.

Is there a trick to getting the doubled thickness over top of the flange?

That's the reason for my "if possible" comment. :)

If the last turn of wire is loosened a bit it usually can be done. Keep the 'turned over' bit fairly short to make it easier.

Gil's right, try that 1st and if it doesn't fit then just stuff the wire inside the hose. Both ways will give you several years of good service life.

There used to be a company up in the northeast called Custom Duct that would vulcanize a non-reinforced silicon based sleeve over the end of SCAT/SCEET tube for just that purpose. I still have some that are almost 25 years old that show no wear and haven't scratched anything along the way. I am getting ready to go looking for them (or someone like them) again to do the hoses on the -3.

I am on a trip, but when I get home I'll look in my resource file and see if I can come up with some contact info.

David Howe

Try this.

http://www.fairpoint.net/~kinney/

Root of the problem

The root of this problem is that most of the hardware, I am referring to the hose flanges are the same OD as the SCAT.
A slightly smaller OD on the flange attachment would surely put an end to this problem. Some things are just too complicated to solve for hardware engineers.:rolleyes:

FYI : The company that makes the stainless steel heater boxes actually got it right. Hose slips on and off without any shoehorn methods.
Sorry folks, this has been one of my gripes since getting involved in airplane building.:)

Back