What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall fuel fitting

JHartline

Well Known Member
OK...page 31-05 has you clock the fitting at 20-deg from horizontal and apply sealant which I would assume will glue it in place. Then page 31-11 says clock it 5-deg from vertical (for a taildragger). My public school math sez this don't add up too good. :confused: Don't see anything in the gotchas list. Which is it?

Sort of related - would high-temp RTV be an acceptable substitute for this fitting and also the brake line firewall fittings as well? I have both RTV and tank sealant but only one requires me to mix up a batch.

Fuel Fitting

Hey James,

It is the 5° for the taildragger. I'm not an expert on the ProSeal vs. RTV, but I would recommend the ProSeal. Did you ProSeal the tunnel yet? You could always do that at the same time, or even wait until you are ready to seal the firewall with ProSeal. I did mine at the 25° before the plans were changed and just had to adjust it and reseal. It's easy to get to until you mount the engine and then it's still not too bad. Just don't forget about it.

Assuming this is a bulkhead fitting, you will want to use something that really secures it from rotating. Otherwise, you'll have to put a wrench on the back side when you tighten the B-nut up front. Not only does that mean two people, but access may be a problem. Ask me how I know...

Pro seal it is

Thanks guys. I usually save up a couple of the small bits to do once I have a batch mixed up. I'll do this fitting, the brake lines, and the brake reservoir at the same time.

Baggage floor going in and next we'll be painting the cockpit. Woo-hoo!!

The hose is installed to get around the nose gear mounts. Looking at page 49-02, looks like 5* for the 14, and 40* for the 14A. I'll defer to someone with a 14.

Proseal, RTV or firebarrier 2000

Tom

put a little red tape on it and wait until you actually hook up the hoses; I had to move mine slightly to take some tension out of the hose.

I found this thread when looking for the correct angle for the fuel line elbow through the firewall and noticed the other issue of RTV vs. Pro-Seal. For convenience I used RTV, but then my tech adviser, who is also a mechanical engineer, had me redo it. You can use RTV sealant IF you use the kind specifically for firewall applications. In the event of an engine compartment fire, it swells as it burns sealing off the cabin. The standard type will burn away and compromise the firewall.

Back